Why become a member? ×

My first build - Squier/Fender

MarkG3

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Bloc Riff Nut' timestamp='1328813143' post='1533147']
That really is an excellent transformation.
You've inspired me to try my first build.

Cheers S9
[/quote]

If you want to then go for it! Confidence and patience helped me just make sure you've got it planned out.

Really interesting to follow, since I'm doing exactly the same stuff!
- Next week, the original neck will be replaced by an MiM Fender Precision neck.
- New Gotoh tuners are ordered.
- New Schaller bridge installed
- New OD capacitor
- bridge cover installed.

Refin is a good option as well.. :D

Thanks to you both, Chris it took me 5 days to get it pretty much done then about 10 or so days just to wait on some parts I had got to put on. It is hard work but it's good to look back and think yea I did that B) I got a heatgun from screwfix really cheap which made removing the finish pretty easy - that and the sanding took the longest

Yea they do get bloody hot :ph34r: I would of thought so, basically with the heatgun I've got it had a scraper thing for the end so as It was heating the plastic up I could just lift the finish off. Then once I had gone all round doing that I set to work on the sanding

• 2 months later...

Fantastic job!!

I assume from the colour description you used Car paint? If so, does it have quite a hard or soft feel to the finish, I've read that it can take a number of weeks to eventually harden?

I'm about to embark on the build myself and I'm still oomming and rrring on whether to use nitro paint or car paint, I've read good and bad reports on both.

Think I might invest in a heat gun to remove the previous covering, I was thinking of using paint remover and sanding but it sounds a bit too messy for me.

Lovely job. I like the white with black scratchplate :)

YepMop If you use car paint you can finish it off with some clear nitro to give it a hard outer shell - it'll age nicely too if you do that :) Just make sure you let the paint dry properly (I'd leave it a week or so) befoer you start he Nitro, and that will need at least 2 weeks before you fine sand it smooth and buff it

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1335446354' post='1631284']
Lovely job. I like the white with black scratchplate :)

YepMop If you use car paint you can finish it off with some clear nitro to give it a hard outer shell - it'll age nicely too if you do that :) Just make sure you let the paint dry properly (I'd leave it a week or so) befoer you start he Nitro, and that will need at least 2 weeks before you fine sand it smooth and buff it
[/quote]
Many thanks for the tip brensabre79 much appreciated :)