Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Ampeg V4B

Dave Tipping

... I KNOW I'm going to seriously regret this one day ... however. I'm putting up for sale my Ampeg 4VB head. I bought the head in about 2007 for £450. Since then It had worked perfectly until at a gig with various bands etc. a few years ago somebody forgot to plug in the speak cabinet and It blew the output transformer. I had the output transformer replaced with a brand new one from fliptops and continued gigging with the head since. At the end of last year at at sound check I heard a funny squeak coming from the amp and turned it off straight away. At home the next day I tried putting the amp on but realised the standby switch had become jambed (i.e. it won't rock) I took it to get checked out and apart from the melted switch (which I have a replacement for - which looks very similar to the existing switch and fits perfectly but is a little more modern looking) I was advised that the amp still has the original capacitors fitted and that a leaky cap caused the switch to blow. Since then I have been using a small Ampeg Ba115 combo to get me by and I was planning on getting the amp fixed ... HOWEVER I have just bought a TB500 head (well the wife has for my Bday next week) and have fallen in love with it's tone! I'm desperate to get a cab (hopefully by the end of next week) so I am keen to shift this head ASAP to get the cash together.

I'm looking for [b]£250[/b] .. This is based on the fact the amp isn't currently working, the £450 I paid for the head and the fact the repair/service I was quoted was around £200 (? you might get it way cheaper than this .. alternatively if you DIY far, far less <- I'm just not that way inclined!)

If it doesn't sell by the end of this week I'll probably take it off and get it fixed over the next few months .. Then possibly sell in full working order If the honeymoon period with the terror bass hasn't worn off!

The amp is in great condition for it's age and only has 1 small tear in the grille cloth (clearly seen on the photos below) The amp has 4 matched JJ 7027A's which are only a few months old and I will also give you 4x new 6L6GC-STR matched tubes (I had them in my gig bag as spares in case something went wrong with the tubes in the amp).

A bunch of photos I have taken tonight can be seen by clicking on the following link.

[url="http://photobucket.com/ampeg-v4b"]http://photobucket.com/ampeg-v4b[/url]

... Any other questions don't hesitate to ask, price isn't negotiable. Edited by Dave Tipping

Would really prefer pick up .. or could take to a 30 mile radius of Perth or Dundee. If I had the cash in my hand and a courier knocked on my door I would hand it over. I.e. if somebody paid upfront and arranged the delivery themselves, I wouldn't say no.

One think to note .. the existing caps have been drained, so the amp should be safe to work on. However ... if you don't know what you are doing you could seriously hurt yourself working on these old amps .. if in doubt don't risk it and take it to a pro.

My mate had one of these he used as a guitar rig. Put my bass through it and loved it to bits. He sold it on but the guy who has it doesnt use it much. If I ever have the cash... Fairly hefty weight wise but sounds lovely.