Why become a member? ×

REMOVE

Skezza

I have a 2 x 10 with an adjustable horn tweeter which I always have turned right off.

The other night when we were setting up to play our guitarist said he could here a sort of crackling very faintly.

He is a pain for tracing the slightest buzz any way it was the tweeter in my 2 x 10 even though it was turned off making a slight crackling like old radio static.

will I need to diconnect the tweeter to stop it altogether

and was it as i suspect a product of neon lights low volage downlighters and 50 year old electrics in the pub

skez

Edited by Skezza

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be that the circuit board in the amp had actually come a little loose. I tightened up the screws and applied a little silicon over the top of them. No problem. It may not be this but it took me ages to find as I was concentrating on the cab itself, the power and the surroundings rather than the amp itself!

Tweeter horns operate with very little power and can be quite sensitive to unstable electric current. I have come across this problem a few times before myself. If the crackling is not there when the amp is home then problem identified, but failing that doing a quick general health check like EBS_Freak did won't hurt. Tweeter problems are generally easy to diagnose and remedy.

It could be one of several things, of course, but you should check out the L-pad used to control the volume of the tweeter. As you've had the tweeter turned down, the L-pad has been on its maximum setting all the time. Just adjust the control a little with the amp on. If it crackles, you've found the culprit.