Why become a member? ×

Playing for yourself

leftyhook

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1326746342' post='1501532']
...the drummer and guitarist in the band like to play "spot the best F.L.I.M" (it is an anagram....I am sure you can work it out!)
[/quote]

Flexible Language for Integer Manipulation? [color=#000000][font=Arial][size=3] :huh:[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=3].[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by discreet

[b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]quote "Personally I hate the clinical sound of a band who've done the former and are phoning in their performance with plastic smiles and 'off the cuff improvised' moves and jokes (that they do everytime). I wonder how these bands keep getting booked."[/font][/color][/b]

My band perform a minimum of 3 shows per week. We are all seasoned musicians who have played with many bands covering many styles.

We have played many of the venues many times and are on first name terms with some of the crowds. They know us. They enjoy us.
We know when to keep it straight laced, and when to have a 'joke on'.

We have had 4 requests already to perform at particular venues on New Years Eve 2012.

the working mens club haven't changed in the 30 years I have been playing them. I know how to give them what they want.

Si?!

Edited by leftyhook

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1326749555' post='1501591']
No..! Well... maybe a little... :)
Obviously I'm missing something basic here, but for the life of me I can't work out what FLIM could possibly be...
Give us a clue!
[/quote]

No Clues. straight to the point. It was an ANAGRAM of M.I.L.F............now don't pretend you don't understand the initials!

I wasn't suggesting that you were in that type of band but you're right; the fact that the clubs haven't changed in 30 years is probably why they're still getting booked.

We played a few of them, but we play a bit more loose arrangements which also went down well and we were asked back. Unfortunately/fortunately my band vetoed them. The problem is that they think they know what they want, at one gig the EM kept coming up to the leader and telling him what to play, despite the dance floor being full and people coming up at the end saying that it was unusual to have so many people dancing so early on on the night.

One guy said we were exactly what the club should have on every week and it would attract a much younger group of people to the club as membership was falling because people keep dying. Lol.

I quite like it when I see a band that rearrange a classic every now and then. Particularly if they take a quite slow song and turn it into a disco thumper. It can be funny initially but then it people realise it works too.
Personally, when I play covers, I prefer to play it as close to the original (or rather, most popular version) as possible because we've most likley been booked to play songs that the customer knows. There's nothing worse than singing along to your favourite David Bowie song (Modern Love, if you care!) and then they throw a solo in place of the chorus or something!

Truckstop

To me, playing someone else's music is interpretation.
That meaning, first of all, that if the original piece is successful is because the original band played it their own way, and people enjoyed that.
If I'm playing a cover, I'd MUCH MUCH rather play it in my own view of the piece, more or less faithful to the original.
I play what that piece 'tells me' to play, if you want.
That said, there are songs that I keep playing the exact same as they were originally intended, for that same reason.

E

My band mostly do covers as close the the original as possible/we can be arsed to do, but there's quite a few we haven't, and we've put our own pop/punk twist on (I Believe I Can Fly, Livin La Vida Loca, Baby/Friday Medley, and most recently (See youtube in sig) Girlfriend by Avril Lavigne) which works a lot better for us than playing it like the original would have.

Liam

There is a reason why you can only copyright Vocals and Melody.

They are really the only recognisable parts of a song to most people. I'm sure its only when you become a musician that you start to identify which instrument is playing what. Only non-musicians and musicians who have trained themselves out of the habit listen to the whole sound.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1326713185' post='1500747']
Anyone thought that instead of making it technically more interesting for themselves, they could use the time to make the act more visually appealing to the audience??

It is a show after all.
[/quote]

This.

Hey some songs we do are a bit of a challenge for me (especially when the drummer counts them in at 220bpm), and that's my muso time, head down and play it well. Cue one of the simpler songs and I can leap around the stage like a deranged pogo stick. What really impresses both the musos and non-musos in the crowd is that you can hold down a decent groove whilst jumping off the walls ;)

Theres more to being a good player than being able to play lots of notes in fast succession. Sometimes musicality is about the notes you don't play too. check out the audience, if their heads aren't nodding you're not playing your repetitious note of C or D with the right amount of feeling :)