Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

new rig time, maybe

EmmettC

I use an SWR 350 workingmans head, and an Ashdown 4x10, I used to have the SWR cab to match the head, but when I moved to Edinburgh from Ireland it wasn't practical to bring it with me.
I like the sound out of the head, but we supported a band recently and I used their EBS combo, and I think I'm hooked, but it's the only EBS amp I've used, so I need to try another to make sure it's for me. Anyone know a dealer nerar enough to Edinburgh?
I'd also like to try a Gallien Kruger amp, I've never used one, but I've heard good things about them.
I play a few different basses, in a few different bands, I like the size of my rig now, so what should I try?
There's still a possibility I'll keep my SWR head and get a new cab, but I'd like to explore a few options, any help would be appreciated.

Chris Agnew who plays with his brother Stevie Agnew plays around Edinburgh with a Gallien Kruger combo and it sounds excellent. You can see him usually playing at the Ghillie Dhu at the west end in Edinburgh with ..............err everybody. Next gig he's doing that I know of is on the 26th at a organised jam type thing where you can get up and play through it if you fancy it.

I`ve always gone for the "warm" Ampeg sound, so when I bought a new amp, went for a GK MB500, to get a different sound. Have to say, I`m very impressed with it. On it`s own, it`s very clear & trebly compared to my general sound, but in the mix with the band, it has a real solidity and precision about it, without overpowering the low end - definition probably the word best to describe it. Plus, it`s half the size of a laptop, so fits in my gig-box with my leads. Worth checking out. They also do the Fusion, which is the MB with a pre-amp tube.