Why become a member? ×

memorising jazz tunes

noojb

Hi guys,

i've been working on my walking bass lines and i've been playing lots more standards recently. When playing these tunes i find that i'm usually ok when i have a chart in front of me, but i find it really difficult if the charts taken away to memorise the chords and think about playing interesting walking lines at the same time. I find when playing functions if i'm playing funk tunes or rock or pop tunes i'm fine memorising hours and hours worth of material because i'm thinking about the grooves and the lines that i'm playing. When it comes to thinking about what chord comes next and walking at the same time i get lost.

Have any of you guys got any techniques that you use for memorising these tunes? and i was wondering when you play these tunes if your thinking about all the chords all the time or if your playing more by ear and following melodies rather than thinking about each individual chord.

People have different methods. I have to say I am the last person to advise you as I can spend all day on a tune and then forget it tomorrow!

Actually, what you need is David Bakers 3 books on How To Play Bebop. Vol 3 has a chapter (Chapter 2) on how to memorise tunes. Baker's books are great learning tools and this one covers your needs. You can get it as a sownload for Kindle but I woudl recommend the hard copy as the musical examples don't look good on a Kindle (altnough they aren't so bad on a PC). The are 20 odd steps so I can't type them all out here (no time) so I recommenmd the book.

step 1, for example, is 'Sing the melody over and over until it is correctly implanted. Listen to recordings, check fake books, sheet music etc'.

There's a free e-book you can download from www.jazzadvice.com which is all about visualization. Talks about being able to visualize single chords at first, then the min/maj or whatever comes after it moving up to progressions like ii V I etc. I can't really vouch for it as its pretty hefty and I haven't really gotten stuck into it but it looks the business! And it's free so probably worth a bash anyway!

[quote name='lobematt' timestamp='1326463872' post='1497564']
There's a free e-book you can download from www.jazzadvice.com which is all about visualization. Talks about being able to visualize single chords at first, then the min/maj or whatever comes after it moving up to progressions like ii V I etc. I can't really vouch for it as its pretty hefty and I haven't really gotten stuck into it but it looks the business! And it's free so probably worth a bash anyway!
[/quote]

Thanks for that link. Although I don't play Jazz on my Jazz bass :) I do like the approach for learning :lol:

[quote name='noojb' timestamp='1326306499' post='1495276']
just realised theres a similar topic on here already, but about memorising lines not chords. I guess this is kind of the opposite problem so it will be interesting to get peoples views.
[/quote]

I find that with a song like Blue Bossa, which has two ii-V-I movements, not a lot of memorization is really required to move through them. Once you're oriented to the ii-V-I and you've found different ways to play it, that group of chords (and the other group as well) kind of become one thing. Like lots of people, I'm sure, I've found that seeing the chords as related groups, and not as single chords, works best.

My advice would be try to learn the song rather than the sequence (which alone is dry), try to get to the point where note choice is instinctive because you know what will work with the song, that way you are more open to hearing where to go in solos... if you get lost... who cares! get the sellotape out, work together...

Edited by jakenewmanbass

[quote name='tedgilley' timestamp='1326759800' post='1501739']
I find that with a song like Blue Bossa, which has two ii-V-I movements, not a lot of memorization is really required to move through them. Once you're oriented to the ii-V-I and you've found different ways to play it, that group of chords (and the other group as well) kind of become one thing. Like lots of people, I'm sure, I've found that seeing the chords as related groups, and not as single chords, works best.
[/quote]

blue bossa is just two keys though which makes it far easier than most tunes i've come across. A technique im trying to help learn the tunes is to play a solo bass style arrangement of playing the melody on top of the chord tones. Its not a quick process for me yet as im having to think about positioning a lot, and also you will miss some of the chords out but as previously stated you can sometimes piece together a jazz tune by listening out for common progressions

Most of jazz standards are made of II V I's, so you might wanna think in these chunks, rather than separate chords.
Lets say, first 8 bars of Autumn Leaves, there are 5 individual chords, but you can think of them in this way (lets say, tune is in Gmaj):

major II V I (in Gmaj)
IV chord (Cmaj)
minor II V I (in Em)

The B Section of the tune is pretty much the same thing, there is one 'additional' chromatic section, which can be converted to short II V patterns, that still work on the basic changes of first 8 bars.

Laimis

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1326798129' post='1501991']
blue bossa is just two keys though which makes it far easier than most tunes i've come across. A technique im trying to help learn the tunes is to play a solo bass style arrangement of playing the melody on top of the chord tones. Its not a quick process for me yet as im having to think about positioning a lot, and also you will miss some of the chords out but as previously stated you can sometimes piece together a jazz tune by listening out for common progressions
[/quote]

This may be true, but if the tune is composed of two or more ii-V-I progressions, all the more reason to see them as units, or changes of key, if you look at it that way. Doing so helps me see a lot more variety--what to do with the dominant seventh, when to use a tritone or other substitution--than I would see going chord to chord. That said, I haven't tried your technique of playing solo over a melody, which I am sure is a good one.

Hi Noojb

The solution is simple- you have to understand Harmony. Many musicians do not understand that Western music is based on a Major and Minor system. Those who do tend to be totally in the dark about the Minor Harmony part and its applications. The sad thing is that there are a lot of teachers out there that don't have a clue about this either. By understanding how Major and Minor Harmony work interdependently will provide you the cornerstone to understanding more advanced concepts and enable you to weave a common thread through those progressions that you are finding difficult to memorize. The mind doesn't work at memorizing thousands of different things; you have to have a system that organizes these concepts into broader chunks.

Best- Joe