Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Low watt valve bass amps

Bassnut62

Hi

Guitarists are able to buy some very tasty low watt valve amps these days, pushing as little as 5 or even 1 watt. These amps could be new or vintage, like the old Fender Champs for guitarists. They are great for home practice and recording.

Does anyone know of anything like this for bass players?

There are lots of 20W vintage valve amps out there - Look for Linear, RSC etc ... Stuff like this:
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-valve-amp-LINEAR-audio-amplifier-/260930607238?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item3cc0ad1886#ht_1188wt_1344"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-valve-amp-LINEAR-audio-amplifier-/260930607238?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item3cc0ad1886#ht_1188wt_1344[/url]

(Though that looks like a 2x EL34 - nominally a 30W) ... But there were other models. I've got one of the Conchord 30W - sounds lovely on bass through my old Peavey (ish) cab at "living room" volume... Doesn't seem to like my Eden so much.

I guess that if you're not running it turned right up, a 5W guitar amp'd work through a bass cab happily?

Or an old radiogram amp? That should be voiced pretty neutrally, and again, could be nice through a bass cab ...?

I've seen a few instances online of people using an epiphone valve junior into a proper bass cab for low volume bass. I'd imagine that'd be quite dirty/middy/bass-light since the output transformer isn't rated for low frequency performance.

Ashdown lb30 is the closest I would imagine.

[IMG]http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy70/VTypeV4/LinearStackL30.jpg[/IMG]

As mentioned above, a Linear / RSC Conchord L30 housed in a custom built wooden case with matching speaker cabs..

Linear L30, 30w (? Hmm, on a really good day maybe!) Two input channels and a passive top and bottom tone stack. Its a bit noisy, probably due to the EF86 input stages but is solid and smooth and compresses nicely before break up I expect due to the valve rectifier.

2 x EL34 (Ruby Tubes EL34Bs due to a heater failure in one of the original Mullard EL34s)
1 x GZ34 (Mullard - Yellow writing)
2 x EF86 (Mazda NOS)
1 x ECC83 (Mullard - White writing)

The speakers are loaded with Goodmans Axiom drive units (I think they're the 20w ones although they might be the 15w model, can't remember) which are a little lacking in anything much less than 100hz although that is likely be the compact dimesions of the cabinets.

You can probably see the dimensions by using the clarinet and the 'normal' sized stack next to it..

Lovely and old school, sounds great with the NE-1 and the Warwick!

Hmmm, some good suggestions here. Thanks.

I'm really looking for a small combo though.

I've been using my Fender Blues Jnr at safe volumes (for this small 15w all-valve guitar combo); but I really want to crank a small good looking valve bass combo to the sweet spot at home.

This dream combo needs to be an acceptable size for Mrs Bassnut to tolerate its presence in the living room too.

Any more suggestions?

Ooh, combo...

Ashdown Little Bastard Drophead. Deep breath before looking at the price though!!! Otherwise an Ampeg Fliptop, but that could end up even pricier than the drophead...

The LB head and matching 1x12 do look very nice though if you're not 100% restricted to a combo, and cheaper than the drophead.

I've built/modded a few valve amps in my time and this kind of project is something I'd love to build for myself in the future.

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1326317069' post='1495497']
Ooh, combo...

Ashdown Little Bastard Drophead. Deep breath before looking at the price though!!! Otherwise an Ampeg Fliptop, but that could end up even pricier than the drophead...

The LB head and matching 1x12 do look very nice though if you're not 100% restricted to a combo, and cheaper than the drophead.

I've built/modded a few valve amps in my time and this kind of project is something I'd love to build for myself in the future.
[/quote]

Now this is getting more towards my ideal home rig. I had been thinking about an old Ampeg flip top; that Ashdown does look like a good take on it, but too expensive. As you say an original Ampeg flip top would be cheaper!
Have you tried the Ashdown rig? If so, what did you think? My only few experiences of Ashdown have been that they are trying too hard to copy vintage US valve sounds.

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1326573588' post='1499114']

Now this is getting more towards my ideal home rig. I had been thinking about an old Ampeg flip top; that Ashdown does look like a good take on it, but too expensive. As you say an original Ampeg flip top would be cheaper!
Have you tried the Ashdown rig? If so, what did you think? My only few experiences of Ashdown have been that they are trying too hard to copy vintage US valve sounds.
[/quote]

Never tried the Ashdown rig, but it's on my 'to do' list!