Why become a member? ×

Passive 2 p/up Vol + Blend circuit

Shaggy

I'm sure this is somewhere on here already, but couldn't find it if so.

I want to wire up a passive pair of P / J Bart pickups with a simple master volume, blend (pan) control, and standard mono output jack - no tone control. Could some kind person please tell this electronics noob exactly what pots to get and do me a circuit diagram?

Many thanks!
Greg

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=jazz_bass_blend

take the wire coming out the volume pot into the tone straight to the tip of the jack. Viola!

I can't remember if you need a tapered audio (log) pot for the volume and a Lin pot for the blend

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=p_j_bass_blend ore even better!
The wire going from the rear pup to the tone pot solder point is just going to ground, so stick it on the solder point on something else or the sleeve of the jack

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1325718955' post='1486753']...
I can't remember if you need a tapered audio (log) pot for the volume and a Lin pot for the blend
[/quote]
I think there's an element of personal taste about whether you have log or lin for the volume pot. For a blend pot like this you probably won't have much choice; most of the ones I've come across are log. (And also 500K not 250K).

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1325759400' post='1487076']
Why bother with the blend? Simple - separate volume pots give you more control, 250K Audio Taper normally.
[/quote]
Some of us like having a blend pot. It's nice being able to adjust the balance of the two pickups (or to switch from one pickup to the other) in one movement, without having to adjust two pots simultaneously.

Can you explain how separate volume pots gives you [i]more[/i] control than a volume/blend set-up?

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1325767144' post='1487258']
Some of us like having a blend pot. It's nice being able to adjust the balance of the two pickups (or to switch from one pickup to the other) in one movement, without having to adjust two pots simultaneously.

Can you explain how separate volume pots gives you [i]more[/i] control than a volume/blend set-up?
[/quote]

With a blend pot you have a fixed ratio for example 50/50 or 60/40 of each pick up, wherever you are along the resistance range. As you turn the pot one goes up while the other goes down.
With individual volumes you have 0 - 100% of each pick up available in any mix you like. Much easier to find the 'sweet spot' of each pick up & use them together or separate as you like.

Compare a blend pot to a bass/treble control in one pot, bass one way treble the other, you can't have maximum of each can you?

Edited by KiOgon

Thanks for the info guys - really helpful! I'll check out the other SD schematics too [quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1325782662' post='1487631'] With a blend pot you have a fixed ratio for example 50/50 or 60/40 of each pick up, wherever you are along the resistance range. As you turn the pot one goes up while the other goes down. With individual volumes you have 0 - 100% of each pick up available in any mix you like. Much easier to find the 'sweet spot' of each pick up & use them together or separate as you like. Compare a blend pot to a bass/treble control in one pot, bass one way treble the other, you can't have maximum of each can you? [/quote] I've always found master vol / blend the most convenient layout, especially live - but that does make sense, and I guess explains why independant volume circuits are the norm. Easier to wire too.....Hmmmm

Edited by Shaggy

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1325782662' post='1487631']
With a blend pot you have a fixed ratio for example 50/50 or 60/40 of each pick up, wherever you are along the resistance range. As you turn the pot one goes up while the other goes down.
With individual volumes you have 0 - 100% of each pick up available in any mix you like. Much easier to find the 'sweet spot' of each pick up & use them together or separate as you like.

Compare a blend pot to a bass/treble control in one pot, bass one way treble the other, you can't have maximum of each can you?
[/quote]
Thanks for explaining your pov. I don't share your tastes, but I can now better understand why you prefer a V/V arrangement. Personally, the "sweet spot" for me is more about the balance between neck and bridge pups, so I like to be able to find that sweet (balance) spot, and then adjust the master volume to my needs.

Incidentally, the blend pots I've looked at do provide 100% of each pickup in the middle position - either side of that they attenuate one of the pickups, but leave the other on full. So the options available in each set-up (V/B or V/V) are exactly the same.

Didn't expect to start a controversy! Interesting stuff though....

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1325846544' post='1488547']
PS Shaggy, if you want a hand with the wiring, drop me a PM - I'm just across town from you.
[/quote]

Hey Mart that's a really kind offer! I'm reasonably nifty with the old soldering iron being an inveterate pickup-modder, and even wired up a P bass circuit from scratch last year (from a kit with instructions for noddies....), but will certainly call if I get stuck!