Why become a member? ×

Pickups - someone on here once said ......

The Dark Lord

On one or two of the topics I remember someone saying that the sound of a bass was all down to its electronics.

There was talk of a test where someone put some P bass (or something) pickups on a plank of wood - and the sound was no different to when the pickup was actually on the Precision ...... or something like that.

So ..... does that mean, if I change the 2 x Vintage MEC humbuckers on my 1999 Warwick Streamer to a P / J arrangement - then the bass will all of a sudden sound like a P / J ?????? Or even some way close to a P / J ??

If so, I'll do it - as the Streamer is extremely playable, light, with a great, great neck - but doesn't have as good a sound as a P / J (or even a P).

If anyone has any views on this I'd be interested.

Of course replacing the pickups to a P/J set from humbuckers will make it sound more like a P/J. If you really want to try it you need to put on Fender P/J pickups though as they are what Fender use.

I do come down on the side of the fence that the vast majority of tone comes from the pickups and electronics and there is a lot of snake oil in wood choices, body shapes etc but there is something.

I think, to a certain extent that will be true-ish. But its a daft idea, they would be the wrong size! Wizzard or aaron Armstrong might be able to wind you something similar to a pj hidden in soapbar size cases... but I'm having similar debates with myself over my 4 string warwicks and am going to try passive pickups rather than the active MEC ones.

The topic of issues affecting how an instrument sounds has been discussed at great length,

Here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/73234-tonewoods/"]http://basschat.co.u...3234-tonewoods/[/url]

Life's probably too short to wade through the whole thing (and TBH at times it did get a bit petty), but a lot of the early posts contain some interesting opinions.

Edited by leftybassman392