Why become a member? ×

iPad apps

awdl22125

ForScore (in conjunction with Airturn page turner)
Noteshelf for setlists and other bits.
Tempo for a metronome (was really handy when MDing for a tempo-mad, super segue act)
iReal B
PDF printer
Goodreader
Avid Scorch

I've never used 3.5mm jack things for live- any clicks come from iTunes via FW interface but the iPad has made reading on stage a lot more discreet.
B&W do a good clamp that fits on a mic stand.

I don't play live so can't speak on that.

I agree that Moog's animoog is one of the better synths on the iPad. Instead of simulating a hardware keyboard they spent some effort exploiting the flexibility of being on the iPad. It's good for making sounds that vary dramatically over time. Unfortunately not so cheap anymore. Most users probably bought it during the introductory pricing period. For synths in general on the iPad I check synthtopia.org

As for bass use, if you desire something more interesting than a metronome for practice I recommend you look into one of the drum machine apps. Most are much easier to use than a hardware drum machine. I use fingerlabs DM-1 which comes with a fairly comprehensive library of samples from old drum machines, a few acoustic kits and their own, quite modern, sounding dance kits. Using this app I can literally whip together a beat in seconds.

I tried garageband for iPad and while it was novel for a while, I find it a pain to use compared to it's full size cousin on my actual mac. I thought it still had use as a practice tool but fatigued quickly of wearing headphones and programming a quantised backing drum beat did not seem possible. It now languishes unused except for friends who come over and use it's built in sampling keyboard to play farting songs.

Hope this was of some help :)

Bass Clef and KSignatures for learning to read music and finding the notes on the fretboard
Polytune from TC is a great tuner, it was free when it first came out, not sure how much it is now... there may be better value tuners available

Edited by Fat Rich

I have plenty of good [i]Android[/i] apps on my HTC Hero phone. No iPad apps though. No iPad either come to think of it. Nice but too expensive. I will get one the day that I can walk in to PC world and buy one off the shelf for under £250. Though being as Apple has prices on a tighter rein than [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5i_pEYGe1o"][i]Champion the wonder horse[/i][/url], I cant see me ever getting one. :(

Edited by daz