Why become a member? ×

warwick preamp and pot values question

LukeFRC

So my warwick has the old style 2 band preamp and active MEC pups.

If I stuck passive pups in it I THINK I would need to change the blend pot, and the volume??
But if I bought a preamp, like the east one, and it came with the vol/tone wired in it would work with both active and passive even though it goes through both before hitting the pre just like the wick? Why what's the difference? Help please

You can put passive pups in without any further mod as the preamp is the thing that affects the pot values (I installed Wizards in one of my Infinettes and that had active MEC pups and preamp, no further mod was required). I'm afraid I wouldn't know about the instillation of the JE pre and the affect that would have on existing or replacement pups!

Good luck. ;)

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1325423387' post='1482945']
You can put passive pups in without any further mod as the preamp is the thing that affects the pot values (I installed Wizards in one of my Infinettes and that had active MEC pups and preamp, no further mod was required). I'm afraid I wouldn't know about the instillation of the JE pre and the affect that would have on existing or replacement pups!

Good luck. ;)
[/quote]

Ah amazing!
Was the thing some people were writing online about having to change the blend from 25k to 250 or then? was that a newer style preamp?

Edited by LukeFRC

i increased the volume pot value on my streamer standard when i swapped the MEC pickup to a bart - didn't [i]massively[/i] change the sound, but i think it did open up the top end a bit.

that could have been a better soldering job or a slight hawthorne effect tho !!

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1325449418' post='1483304']
i increased the volume pot value on my streamer standard when i swapped the MEC pickup to a bart - didn't [i]massively[/i] change the sound, but i think it did open up the top end a bit.

that could have been a better soldering job or a slight hawthorne effect tho !!
[/quote]

thanks ahpook (and warwickhunt) i now feel I am informed.

Will try it as it is, it will work and then can decide on either new pots or new pre as well later :)