Why become a member? ×

What looping pedal? Boss RC or Jamman or what?

fretmeister

I really fancy giving looping a go, both as a practice tool, and maybe for composition too.

I see Boss now has the RC30 that replaces the RC20XL, but the Jamman is around too... any opinions on either unit? Is it worth looking at a used RC20XL rather than the RC30?

I sing too and I can't see that the RC20XL allows a mic at the same time as an instrument?

ta

Paul

Traditionally I'd of said any of the RC or Jamman range were ideal. I guess it depends what you want from it, but I'm now using a TC Electronics Flashback delay! It's a great delay pedal, but with the bonus of being the most compact and all-round awesome looper. If you want built in beats etc then it's not for you, but I'd you just want sound on sound with later after layer then it's fantastic!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1325003636' post='1479036']
Traditionally I'd of said any of the RC or Jamman range were ideal. I guess it depends what you want from it, but I'm now using a TC Electronics Flashback delay! It's a great delay pedal, but with the bonus of being the most compact and all-round awesome looper. If you want built in beats etc then it's not for you, but I'd you just want sound on sound with later after layer then it's fantastic!
[/quote]

+1 or the Akai E2 Headrush,

Not used a TC flashback but heard only good things.

I like the Akai and use it live as when i click i know it's recording and when i click it'll come in when it click it the "kick in time" as it were is tiny so for quicker more a-rhytmical stuff it suits me to the ground! Plus has great delay on it

Those are the i'd be looking at anyhow :)

I've got an RC30 and I couldn't be happier with it's capability. I use it more for practising by layering tracks with the onboard drum samples and recording various guitar/bass parts. The onboard drum samples whilst not editable are good and I can generally get something suitable from the 8 programmed rhythms - the on board effects are good too. These, and the much longer recording time available are the main differences to the RC20. The quality of the recorded/layered sound is excellent and I doubt if I have scratched the surface of it's capability. However, even with the way I'm using the unit it's great fun andf the most used pedal I have and I can highly recommend it.

No, the flashback can't - So as a gigging tool it is not so perfect. As a practice tool though I find it perfect. It has unlimited loops which is great and its process of layering loops is quite instinctive...

The 1st loop you record sets the length of the phrase. You can layer single drop ins etc as you see fit, as it will sit it within the point of the 1st loop each time. Also, if you are recording a later loop and go over the length of the 1st loop, what you are playing will start again as the loop restarts and your continuation of playing becomes another layer on top.

Reading that back is sounds gibberish, but when you play with it, it makes sense.

Also worth noting that its pretty much the nicest sounding delay I've used in a long time as well. The modulated delay is particularly fantastic on bass.

I have the Boss RC 50 and to be honest it is one of the best bass oriented things I have bought- I find it really useful for other things than looping- such as slowing down tracks to help me learn them- I use it as a sampler on stage too- and as a looper it is amazing- very very much overkill but if its good enough for Wooten.........

If you can find one, the Oberheim Echoplex (now made by Gibson) is awesome. I had an original one many moons ago and it was tremendous fun. However, it's actually a 19" rack with a massive footboard controller, so not the most practical looper out there. A bit overkill if you are only going to use it once in a while, but perfect if you are an instrumental performer.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1325003636' post='1479036']
[/quote]

I'm using the flashback as well - great all purpose pedal and packs a LOT of features.

The Akai headrush is also a great choice.