Why become a member? ×

fretless fretboard: natural finish or epoxy

mentalextra

I have read a few posts and I realise there is a mix of opinion. I am currently doing a defretting job on a Yamaha and wondered if I just fill the fret slots and rub the rosewood fretboard down smooth, a coat of lemon oil is enough. Is it worthwhile going the extra step of a high gloss epoxy/varnish type finish?

Cheers

Depends if you choose to use roundwounds, in which case read up on Jaco's Jazz bass!
I used roundwounds on my Wal ebony fretless fingerboard and ripped it up. nasty buzz spots.

I always use flats on a fretless. D'addario Chromes for me. Fab.

BTW my Wal is sadly no longer fretless due to wearing the fingerboard too many times with rounds . Be warned!

I have one of each and the epoxy coated has (IMHO) a better feel.

My de-fretted Jazz is just standard rub down and oiled. It plays well and I love it but it just isn't the same as the epoxy.

Personally, why not try playing it first then decide if you dont like the feel and coat it. (Don't oil it though, just play it).

I use flats on mine btw.

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1324846623' post='1478110']
I have one of each and the epoxy coated has (IMHO) a better feel.

My de-fretted Jazz is just standard rub down and oiled. It plays well and I love it but it just isn't the same as the epoxy.

Personally, why not try playing it first then decide if you dont like the feel and coat it. (Don't oil it though, just play it).

I use flats on mine btw.
[/quote]

After filling the fret slots and rubbing it down, what needs doing before it is ready to play? I thought it would need a once over with lemon oil?

I would try filling the slots and lightly rubbing down first. Play it for a while and see if you like it as it is. Bare wood and epoxied boards are different in both sound and feel, not forgetting the amount of work it takes to apply an even, flat, bubble and witness-line free epoxy coat a curved fingerboard. Tens of thousands of fretless basses have been made with just bare rosewood boards and have lasted for years (even with stainless rounds). I wouldn't worry too much about oil for the moment as if you decide to go the epoxy route oil will only hinder the coating process. It'll be perfectly playable without lemon(snake) oil.

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1324913335' post='1478428']
After filling the fret slots and rubbing it down, what needs doing before it is ready to play? I thought it would need a once over with lemon oil?
[/quote]
Sorry, my answer could have been a lot clearer. :(
[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1324921285' post='1478498']
I wouldn't worry too much about oil for the moment as if you decide to go the epoxy route oil will only hinder the coating process. It'll be perfectly playable without lemon(snake) oil.
[/quote]

This is what I meant! :lol:

I agree with leftyhook about the D'Addario Chromes - they stun every bass player who tries my Jaguar. Flat wound in feel but bright as roundwounds. Fabulous!
Ref the fretboard - don't epoxy at this stage. Try it first - probably ( with the above strings) perfectly fine with just a good fine sanding and a good lemon-oil treatment

Ok, thanks for the advice. I have just got back into this and all the frets are out. I am just pondering on which colour wood filler to use. I intend to sand it and try playing before I decide on any further work on the neck.

[i]If [/i]I decided to lacquer the fretboard, could I use automotive aerosol lacquer. Much easier than painting with a brush?

May I suggest a two pack soft sand woodfiller,Wurth uk do a good one. If you do decide to laquer it then rustins do a plastic finish which is brush on.(also sold in small amounts). Three or four coats then 1200 grit wet and dry then t cut ( car burnish paste), to get it smooth Use a cork block when sanding so the filler and the finish are flat when sanded. If your filler is too hard then you end up sanding the wood and not the filler, a single pack filler can be used but this will ''sink'' when drying so you will need to fill at least twice. Hope this helps.

Sorry forgot to say that the brush on lacquer will lay on the fretboard in much thicker coats than spraying. If you use a car spray it will take ages to get a durable enough coating for playing without wearing it out when playing. The two pack is also extreemely hard after a couple of weeks and having a hardener mixing with the lacquer sets very quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive done the fretless conversion and been playing the neck untreated. Im happy with my work but the guitar has a very metallic bright sound so im going to get rid of the roundwound strings first. I realise the Yamaha naturally has this sort of tone and wondered if I could change pups to get a warmer more rounded tone.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I would never use rosewood for a fretless. I'm sure others may dissagree but imo ebony is the only way to go (more or less). Definately a no to laquer, the strings will scratch it up and chip it off, I'm 100% certain of that. Epoxy is the only option in this case. Horrible stuff but the only thing that is anywhere near hard enough for the purpose.. You'll need a radius block to match your fingerboard (ebay).

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1326639031' post='1499779']
Ive done the fretless conversion and been playing the neck untreated. Im happy with my work but the guitar has a very metallic bright sound so im going to get rid of the roundwound strings first. I realise the Yamaha naturally has this sort of tone and wondered if I could change pups to get a warmer more rounded tone.

Thanks
[/quote]
[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1328866691' post='1533811']
Its was too good to last :( . I have noticed some wear from the roundwound strings on parts of the fretboard. I dont want to varnish the fretboard unless I [i]really[/i] have to. I dont want to risk [i]losing my sound[/i] by changing to flatwounds. What to do? What to do? :unsure:
[/quote]

Use flats, you said the bass was too metallic and bright and you wanted warmer and rounder. This will do the job.
Unless you changed your mind and decided you liked that, in which case ignore me, and rub superglue all over your fingerboard,