Why become a member? ×

swapping speakers from 1x15 to 2x10 (ashdown)

clashcityrocker

Hi all,bit of an odd one here but basically I have a 1x15 ashdown abm combo and a 2x10 ashdown cab on top and basically I have noticed the front where the speakers are mounted are exactly the same dimensions so I was wondering how hard it would be to swap the speakers round,that way I have the controls at the top of the rig and the cab is Mich deeper and sits wobbly on the combo. So I would have a 2x10 combo on top of a 15 cab (which I could put casters on). I know ashdown do this amp in a 2x10 combo and the wattages all match up,just don't know about 'splitting' the faces from the wooden bodies and wiring etc. Many thanks
Si

Welcome to the can of worms I opened up with a similar question

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/161735-cabinet-config-query/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/161735-cabinet-config-query/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

To be honest I had some excellent replies and all of the helpful.

[quote name='clashcityrocker' timestamp='1324379565' post='1473514']
I just assumed the 2x10 should be above the 15 as everyone seems to run their rigs like that! :-/
[/quote]
But there's no harm in trying something different! Especially when it's so simple to do. Some people would say a 210 cab should be orientated such that the speakers are vertically aligned. Try such things and let your ears decide.

If a wobbly cabinet is too deep or a strap handle in between causes the top cabinet to not be rigid, get some big rubber feet and mount them on either surface. A cabinet needs to stay still, just as your bass bridge needs to be screwed down tight! This is more important than having the treble sounds on top.

I've been on your position. I've had a TE 1x15 combo and wanted a 2x10 to go with it (before i discovered bass foruns and the beauty of class-d/neodimyum rigs).
I've ended up buying a used 2x10 TE combo and swapped to head of the 1x15 (more powerfull and more features) by the one in the 2x10. I've left the 1x15 with the hole. A few days later i've covered the hole with a piece os cardboard with some TE racing stripes that i´ve printed on the offices plotter. The sound was lovely and it looked right to me. If i can find a pic of it i'll post it here!