Why become a member? ×

Can anyone recommend me some headphones? :)

Ben Jamin

So I lost my in-ears a couple of weeks ago, figured I'd just turn the cab up a bit and manage without monitors, and came back with loads of ringing in my ears! So I figured I should do it properly, and I was wondering I could get some opinions on headphones for on-stage monitoring/general use? I prefer the feel of cans when playing, not really a big fan of in-ears for some reason, so closed back/semi-closed would be important as it can get pretty darn loud up there :P

So rugged/durable, noise-isolating/ambient noise reduction, good sound, looks cool (I'll be playing on stage with them!)? :)
About £100-£150 to play with...

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to headphones :huh:
Cheers!

Edited by Ben Jamin

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1324250154' post='1472321']
I'm a big fan of the Beats by Dre Studio headphones but i've never tried to use them live, i'd always feel a bit of a idiot using over ears when on stage.

Sorry, not much use :lol:
[/quote]

Yeah I've heard they were quite good, but I wasn't sure if it was just a brand-fashion thing 'cause they're all colourful and stuff :P I'll give them a proper look, thanks!

Yeah I realise it might a look a little silly, but hey drummers get away with it! I'm open to in-ears too, it's just a preference :)

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1324250627' post='1472327']
I wasn't sure if it was just a brand-fashion thing 'cause they're all colourful and stuff
[/quote]
This basically. They are designed to make stuff sound good, rather than true. So they are completely useless for monitoring, they're only worthwhile for casual listening.
And there's much better offerings out there for the same money.

[quote name='Cyrene' timestamp='1324290908' post='1472502']
Shure SH940. Big and a bit higher than your price range but secondhand poss. I just got some from US for £150.
Isolation is good but nowhere near as good as good IEMs.
Sound quality excellent.
[/quote]

Thanks, they look pretty good! I don't mind them being too big as long as it's not like:

I'd get some more IEMs but I've always managed to break/lose them somehow!

I get paid for a tour tomorrow, so I might be able to increase my budget a bit :)

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1324316026' post='1472946']
Thanks, they look pretty good! I don't mind them being too big as long as it's not like:

I'd get some more IEMs but I've always managed to break/lose them somehow!

I get paid for a tour tomorrow, so I might be able to increase my budget a bit :)
[/quote]

I happen to be considering selling mine... Bought my son a Jaguar SS bass today....
They're 3 weeks old. Case, box and extras all mint.
they are very good like :)

[quote name='simwells' timestamp='1324322308' post='1473043']
I'd go with some Sennheiser HD25 IIs for this, fantastic sounding cans and fairly accurate production. Definitely wouldn't advise beats for this situation or for anything other than listening to only hip hop / simple beat based music.
[/quote]

Ive heard a lot of good things about these headphones, i've been looking in to getting a set myself but the amount of models available in the HD25 range seems quite confusing.

I forgot my Sennheiser HD280s in a gig on Frid so borrowed a set of the HD 25-1s for the Sat gig, and I have to say I really got on with them.
The semi open feel means you don`t get sweaty ears but the isolation is great.
The sound was clear and punchy at low levels too, so I`m pricing some up now.
They don`t fold away flat like the HD280s, but maybe that means I won`t forget them so easily...

The one pair of HD25 i tried felt really nice. Ive read that some people dont like wearing them for too long but i couldn't feel any discomfort in the 20mins or so i had them on.
For me the isolation was the selling point, i could practice in the living room while eastenders was on the TV, and this was the recent Bianca episode so a good test ;-)

The pair i tried had the velvet ear pads which i believe come with the higher priced set and felt very nice on my ears.

With HD25s as long as you avoid the SPs it will be a good set, as far as I'm aware they all come with the two different types of ear pads. Other than that the main difference is the cable that comes with it, I've upgraded mine anyway so that becomes irrelevant really. If there's a c in the name it has a coiled cable and is it's the HD25 II 13 or something along those lines then they're the high impedance units that really need a good dedicated amp to drive them.

So for normal listening such as iPod etc the 70 ohms version should be ok shouldnt it?
One other question, are these good for general music listening? I ask as I would like to use them both for recording and playing, and also using with my iPod touch or phone on the tube.

I don't suppose you or anyone knows how these compare to the Sen HD215? These are what I have now but I find the noise isolation isn't great.

Yes the 600 ohm would be useless direct out of an iPod, and much as they still do benefit from a portable amp from an iPod they still sound good without.
Yes they are fantastic for general listening, they're my over heads for out and about as they do sound fantastic but are still nice and small and the clamping force and isolation is generally very good. People are often amazed at how little sound is leaked from them.

I've only briefly ever played with the 215s but the 25s are an absolutely massive improvement in all areas especially in bass response and tightness as well as the noise isolation is much much better yes.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1324415905' post='1474088']
Nor me,but I need them for work : (
[/quote]

I'm even worse, i dont need them at all, i just have GAS for them.

Ordered a pair from Amazon, will be here tomorrow. At least i have the option of sending them back if i find they aren't what im hoping for.

Happy Christmas to me :-)

My HD25's arrived earlier and im very pleased with them. They do sound flatter than my PX100 and Grado SR60's but i feel its just right, certainly through my iPhone 4. Plenty of volume as well. I find my other cans boost the low end too much and this makes it harder to work out bassline from MP3's etc. The HD25 seems a lot cleaner.

The pair i briefly tried before had the Velour ear pads on them. These felt comfortable but im quite happy with the stock ones. I do feel the isolation is a bit better, as is the low end.
I did try the other pads but didnt feel i wanted to lose the low end kick, which i feel is perfect as it is.

I work with a large photocopier and its quite strange not hearing it churning away, i have to keep looking at the screen to make sure its not working. ive also been told off twice for not answering the phone in the print room lol.

So, skint but happy.

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1324250627' post='1472327']
Yeah I've heard they were quite good, but I wasn't sure if it was just a brand-fashion thing 'cause they're all colourful and stuff :P I'll give them a proper look, thanks!
[/quote]

I would not trust a pair of headphones designed in consultation with anyone whose mixes sounded like Dre's!

It might seem old school but the Beyerdynamic DT100s are the industry standard for a reason. Plus they look like professional headphones, unlike many of the 'DJ branded' things around these days. The Beyers come in black or grey. They are pretty indestructible, almost everything on them is replaceable and being the industry standard, not hard to get hold of. Plus, they ain't too deer. just my 2p

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1324560101' post='1475583']
My HD25's arrived earlier and im very pleased with them. They do sound flatter than my PX100 and Grado SR60's but i feel its just right, certainly through my iPhone 4. Plenty of volume as well. I find my other cans boost the low end too much and this makes it harder to work out bassline from MP3's etc. The HD25 seems a lot cleaner.

The pair i briefly tried before had the Velour ear pads on them. These felt comfortable but im quite happy with the stock ones. I do feel the isolation is a bit better, as is the low end.
I did try the other pads but didnt feel i wanted to lose the low end kick, which i feel is perfect as it is.

I work with a large photocopier and its quite strange not hearing it churning away, i have to keep looking at the screen to make sure its not working. ive also been told off twice for not answering the phone in the print room lol.

So, skint but happy.
[/quote]

Wow they came quick! Glad your happy with them :)

Sorry I should've replied to this thread ages ago - just haven't been at a computer for days. Was starting to have withdrawal symptoms :blink:
Based on all this and trying a pair out at the last gig, I'm off to Amazon to order mine!

Thanks folks! Merry Christmas! :D

Hey, If you are looking for a set of IEM's I would suggest Shure. I know it may be out your budget but the SE535 are one of the best sets on the market. Any of the Shure range is pretty amazing anyway, their prices have come down recently as well!

The 535's are triple driver phones and have won loads of awards and (according to shure) are the best for bass players IEM-ing.

I used to have a set of old SE115's and for general use they were cracking, never tried them for monitoring though...

Plus side as well if you got a set of the Shure's - any of the range. You can get some custom moulds made from ACS for pretty cheap and they create the seal in your ear that makes them sound that little bit better.

Just my thought - I'm buying a set in the New Year so if I get on well with them I'll post up a little review.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Dara