Why become a member? ×

What is that hole?

OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='166143' date='Mar 29 2008, 10:12 PM']I did a service & pickguard replacement on a nice Mexican Precision the other week & noticed a round recessed hole above the control cavity. Why do Precisions have this hole? Does it serve any purpose?[/quote]
it wasn't one from drilling the hole to the bridge for ground connection?

No, if you look at the bass in an upright elevation, it's to the right (underside) of the strings and a little higher than the pickups. Just a round hole about 3/4 inch deep and painted over, so it's definitely a standard feature of the Fender bodies. I have seen pictures of vintage restorations where the control cavity routing leads to one of these holes via a routed "track".

But not all Jazz Basses have them. IIRC, higher spec models don't have them, it's just solid wood under there. It's a bit of a sh*tt*r really, I wanted to have my MIM Jazz scratchplateless but it had that hole in it. Also had some rout for the pickup wires to sit in that looked like it had been made using something that was also used for ploughing fields. One of the plus sides to most Fenders having large scratchplates is they can cover up a world of sins, such as the 'swimming pool' pickup cavity routing in my Strat :)

Oops, just realised OutToPlayJazz was referring to a MIM Precision, although I think we're talking about the same thing. Take a gander at this pic of me playing my Jazz live. It's that hole just above the pickup that we're talking about, right?