Why become a member? ×

Harmonics on new strings

arabassist

I've never realised this before as I seldom change strings, but I put on some new strings (not sure what they were, just standard quality with standard gauge) and the harmonics just sounded clear and gorgeous. This was acoustic as well so it wasn't a pickup problem. I've always had problems playing harmonics before and didn't think it was a string problem - before I had to really pick hard to get any sound out. Does it differ between string types or is it something about fresh strings?

The most important thing about playing a harmonic is getting your left hand off that string as soon as you've hit it - it's a practice thing that once you get the hang of, you'll wonder what the big deal was. :)

Harmonics are always clearer on fresh strings - play them right and you can get a harmonic just about anywhere on the neck.
Within a few days of playing they'll only respond to the 5th, 7th and 12th with any clarity.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1324083252' post='1470801']
Harmonics are always clearer on fresh strings - play them right and you can get a harmonic just about anywhere on the neck.
Within a few days of playing they'll only respond to the 5th, 7th and 12th with any clarity.
[/quote]

Clean strings and put on the bass properly gives them the best chance.
MIne last quite a while..but then the sound is bright so that helps..!!

Popping harmonics in the mix is always a good indicator that your sound is working, IMO.

you can get duff strings producing strange harmonics too - i currently have a duff D string producing a very prominent harmonic when playing the open string :o its the harmonic that you can find between the second and third fret but it rings on the open string and loud enough to notice both acoustically and a bit through the amp too - swapped the string around different guitars and tested it thinking it was a high fret or dodgy nut but turned out it was the string all along

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1324083252' post='1470801']
[/quote]

True that.

Two days ago I could hear a clear one on the 4th fret. Now i get a muddy noise.

Now I am sad.

Fresh strings are a big help, stiffer strings like flatwounds are more difficult.

The graphite necks on my Status basses produce astonishingly clear harmonics even on old strings, really alive.

As you probably know you'll hear harmonics a lot clear through the bridge rather than the neck pickup.