Why become a member? ×

Sound Clips of my G&L 2500 and SR4

nottswarwick

Right, I am putting some basic demo tracks together for a band of mine. Nothing too fancy, just so that venues can hear us if they want to. As part if this I have tracked some bass, as you do. Again nothing fancy, and pretty much one take stuff directo into the desk then into cubase.

So we have the following.

The Circle - Stingray4, totally flat EQ, full volume, through my EBS Multicomp only. This has guitars on it too, as you will hear
[url="http://www.chrispidgeon.co.uk/audio/splinter/demo/Circle%20Wav2.wav"]Circle[/url]

Ruby - Gand L 2500, neck pickup, passive mode, tones on max, series mode (dubjunkie recommended this for a Pbass sound, and he is right I think). No multicomp, straight into the desk
[url="http://www.chrispidgeon.co.uk/audio/splinter/demo/ruby%20bass%20and%20drums.wav"]ruby[/url]

Drift Away - GandL 2500, bridge pickup, passive mode, tones on max, parallel mode.
[url="http://www.chrispidgeon.co.uk/audio/splinter/demo/drift%20away%20bass%20adn%20drums.wav"]drift away[/url]

So, 3 different bass tones - just thought folk might be interested in what they sound like, especially the GandL. If you can listen thru phones or a decent setup this will obviously give the best representation.

Hope this might be useful to someone.

Cheers

Chris

Cheers for posting these up.

Really nice playing on Ruby - that Simon Rix from the Kaisers writes some nice bass lines, doesn't he?

Interesting that you use the G&L on passive, I think the active elecs are what make the G&L sound for me. Gives it that "hi-fi" sound. Perhaps I'm just so used to hearing that kind of sound that everything sounds a bit muffled otherwise - 'active bass tinitus' if you like!

thanks.

Yeah, I usually use the GL in active mode too, but wanted to see how it recorded in passive, and I think it sounds really full and "organic".

Ruby is a great tune to play - like alot of really good pop songs it is very well crafted and put together, with lots of subtle changes and different bits to it. We like playing it.

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='165950' date='Mar 29 2008, 04:49 PM']Ruby is a great tune to play - like alot of really good pop songs it is very well crafted and put together, with lots of subtle changes and different bits to it. We like playing it.[/quote]
Does it get a good reaction? We were thinking of adding it to our list but weren't sure if it would keep people up dancing?

Edit: [url="http://mistermattsmith.googlepages.com/02DaniCalifornia.mp3"]here[/url]'s what my L2000 Trib sounds like.

Edited by stingrayfan

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='165966' date='Mar 29 2008, 05:16 PM']mmm, which is series actually, middle switch towards bride or neck. I did mine with the switch towards the neck - the lounder setting, always thought this is series, I may in fact be wriong. Anyone?[/quote]
I don't know tbh! I mean towards floor/bridge (quieter setting).

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='165966' date='Mar 29 2008, 06:16 PM']mmm, which is series actually, middle switch towards bride or neck. I did mine with the switch towards the neck - the lounder setting, always thought this is series, I may in fact be wriong. Anyone?[/quote]
Yup forwards is series. Wiring diagram [url="http://www.glguitars.com/schematics/ASATbass_L2000_L2500_controls_diagram.pdf"]HERE[/url]

Just back from a tech rehearsal to run through stuff with our sound guy & my L2500 sounded luuuuurvly mostly on Active+, Series & both pups (so from back to front forwards, forwards, middle) all tones & volume up. For the rocky stuff we do it is just so good and sits in the mix really well.

nice playing Chris and Matt, lovin the tones off the G&Ls as well. I noticed with the L2K MFDs/electronics slightly rolling off volume and tone and where you place your right hand affects the sound more than I generally experience with other basses. and for me they sound bigger on the same amp settings than a Ray or Sterling in a band context. playing in an INXS tribute band last year I had my Sterling almost drop out the mix when all the band was running full tilt. so I plugged the Asat back in and the sound was there again. the sterling is a great bass but the G&Ls are a great band bass. they really come into their own in a loud band

will need to get some clips of my Asat,SB-2 and pure mid range honk of the L1500 up sometime soon

Keir

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='165955' date='Mar 29 2008, 05:55 PM']Does it get a good reaction? We were thinking of adding it to our list but weren't sure if it would keep people up dancing?

Edit: [url="http://mistermattsmith.googlepages.com/02DaniCalifornia.mp3"]here[/url]'s what my L2000 Trib sounds like.[/quote]

We played Ruby for a while and it always went down well. We only dropped it cos we got bored with it, but we still play I Predict A Riot which is great fun to play, my favourite bass line of the whole set and we always use it as an encore. As you say they are very inventive bass lines, We're hoping to add 'OMG I can't believe it' soon,
Cheers
Graham