Why become a member? ×

MarkBass - Difference between Traveller, New York and Club speakers?

Linus27

Possibly looking at getting a couple of 12" MarkBass cabs but have no idea what the difference is tonally between the Traveller, New York and Club cabs. I can't seem to find much info on the web anywhere either. Anyone know what the difference is tonally? I like the look of the New York range but idealy I would like something thats going to have a warm fuller classic tone rather than bright, detailed and articulate.

The Traveller cabs tend to have a middy focus, and they are small/light.

The NY112 is a VERY small cabinet, and I doubt it will provide much meat, but more of a mid bark? I wouldn't go for one purely as they have the piezos, but that's just me. The NY122 is larger, but had a much better horn, and will realy power through the mix.

The Club cabinets are probably your best bet if you are sticking with Markbass.

If you look at the insides of the traveller 10"-based cabs they (certainly used to) use a driver based on the B&C HPL64, whereas the Classic 108 uses what looks like B&C 10CL51. Assuming the specs are similar to the OEM drivers (and the travellers sound like it to me) then these will give quite different voicings, the former being more aggressive in the upper-mids and the latter being a bit more rich in the bottom end. Afraid I don't know about any other driver sizes but it's evident from the 10"s that Markbass use more than one chassis type depending on application.

I use two New York 604 cabs stacked, and find contrary to expectations that the sound is actually warmer, fatter and richer (with a touch less of the famed clinical clarity of other MarkBass gear) than the MB 410/210 rig I used previously.

It may be counter intuitive, but these small cabs really do produce a huge, fat sound. In fact I miss the super, crystal clear sound of the bigger cabs, and never imagined when I down-sized that my sound would get "bigger" (not louder, obviously, but definitely bigger).

If I didn't love the fantastic convenience of the 604s so much I might sell them and go back to bigger cabs for the sound I'm after... But the 604s might serve you very well from the sounds of it.