Why become a member? ×

Shortest Notice Depping Gig Ever

Scoop

Went to my local tonight to see pals of mine in a zappa - beefheart type band. Great band and I've kind of envied the bassist in this lot for a while coz it's a great gig. He's a mate and I know him well but I'd still kill him, happily, for this gig.

Anyway, the poor sod has a barium meal test tomorow and took laxatives before the gig to clear his system out - not expecting the effect to be almost immediate. He got a third of the way through the first set and unplugged, lobbed his bass at me (a frankenfender precision), and sprinted bogwards clutching his buttocks.

After I'd finished laughing I got up and made a complete arse of myself attempting to improvise material I thought I knew but obviously didn't.

Still enjoyed the bits I got right, mind you.

I dep quite a bit and I like to think that I have reputation as someone who will give their all at a moments notice - but this is the first time I've ever answered the "is there a bassist in the house?" type of call. It was a bit stressful to be honest and I didn't exactly rise to the challenge as I hoped I might - but when all is said and done I still had a blast. So unexpected, so challenging, so sphincter quivering - and such good fun.

[quote name='Scoop' post='165693' date='Mar 29 2008, 02:01 AM']Went to my local tonight to see pals of mine in a zappa - beefheart type band. Great band and I've kind of envied the bassist in this lot for a while coz it's a great gig. He's a mate and I know him well but I'd still kill him, happily, for this gig.

Anyway, the poor sod has a barium meal test tomorow and took laxatives before the gig to clear his system out - not expecting the effect to be almost immediate. He got a third of the way through the first set and unplugged, lobbed his bass at me (a frankenfender precision), and sprinted bogwards clutching his buttocks.

After I'd finished laughing I got up and made a complete arse of myself attempting to improvise material I thought I knew but obviously didn't.

Still enjoyed the bits I got right, mind you.

I dep quite a bit and I like to think that I have reputation as someone who will give their all at a moments notice - but this is the first time I've ever answered the "is there a bassist in the house?" type of call. It was a bit stressful to be honest and I didn't exactly rise to the challenge as I hoped I might - but when all is said and done I still had a blast. So unexpected, so challenging, so sphincter quivering - and such good fun.[/quote]

It wasn't the Muffin Men by any chance was it?

[quote name='jakesbass' post='165813' date='Mar 29 2008, 12:16 PM']It wasn't the Muffin Men by any chance was it?[/quote]

Nope. I play with Carlo Bowry the guitarist from the Muffs (now ex-guitarist I suppose) on a quite regular basis. Well over 200 gigs with him in the last decade, I guess. There was another ex-Muffins chap involved last night but it wasn't the Muffins [i]per se[/i]. The band are called Trout Mask Replicants.

[quote name='Scoop' post='165821' date='Mar 29 2008, 12:35 PM']Nope. I play with Carlo Bowry the guitarist from the Muffs (now ex-guitarist I suppose) on a quite regular basis. Well over 200 gigs with him in the last decade, I guess. There was another ex-Muffins chap involved last night but it wasn't the Muffins [i]per se[/i]. The band are called Trout Mask Replicants.[/quote]
I know Carl from old and toured Europe with the Muffs in the early nineties.
Say hello to Carl for me.
Jake Newman

[quote name='jakesbass' post='165856' date='Mar 29 2008, 02:05 PM']I know Carl from old and toured Europe with the Muffs in the early nineties.
Say hello to Carl for me.
Jake Newman[/quote]

I'd be glad to pass on your best. Carlo's had a bad week this week (I'll PM you on that) and I imagine that might cheer him up a bit.

So who else do you know from the Muffs? Roddie, obviously... but Rhino? Jumpy? Bammo? Steve Belger? Andy Frizzel? Martin "Tina"? My God, there's been so many of them... Tilo Pirnbaum? Did you get to play with either Ike Willis or Jimmy carl Black? I've gotten to know JCB reasonably well through Carlo and Frizz and he's just a brilliant bloke.

[quote name='Scoop' post='165905' date='Mar 29 2008, 03:36 PM']I'd be glad to pass on your best. Carlo's had a bad week this week (I'll PM you on that) and I imagine that might cheer him up a bit.

So who else do you know from the Muffs? Roddie, obviously... but Rhino? Jumpy? Bammo? Steve Belger? Andy Frizzel? Martin "Tina"? My God, there's been so many of them... Tilo Pirnbaum? Did you get to play with either Ike Willis or Jimmy carl Black? I've gotten to know JCB reasonably well through Carlo and Frizz and he's just a brilliant bloke.[/quote]

I know all in that list except Tilo, and yes I did play (toured for months) with Ike and recorded an album with him and from that got a gig with the Belgian TV and Radio Orchestra performing original pieces as a tribute to Zappa. That was with Robert 'Bobby' Martin, the other great singer in Zappas band of that era.
Good times...
Thanks for the PM re Carl. I hope he's ok It will take a while...
Jake