Why become a member? ×

Kevin McGuire - double bass player for Kate Rusby

ShergoldSnickers

I was given a ticket to see Kate Rusby at Hull City Hall last night, and was bowled over by both the playing and sound from Kevin McGuire. A beautifully articulate sound with plenty of weight in the lower registers without any boom or boxiness. Gorgeous.

Not normally my staple listening, but I'm really glad I went, and I enjoyed the music from the rest of the band and Kate as well. Live music wins out every time.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1323538243' post='1464404']
I know Kevin. He also plays with Eddie Reader and Karen Matheson, among others. I'll pass on your comment I'm sure it will be appreciated.
[/quote]
It was massively appreciated at this end. The kind of player that shows how expressive and delicate - as well as powerful - the double-bass can be. Not said lightly.

Anybody else seen the two documentaries about Kate on SkyArts2? This where I first heard her (fabulous) voice - sublime!! - she played the folk festival at Hatfield Park in 2010 - she was the only act I wanted to see so couldn't be ar5ed to part with the cash for the tickets..love the sea shanty feel to some of her sings...