Why become a member? ×

Fodera Yin Yang Standard

PauBass

Just wondering if anyone has had the pleasure to play or owns one of the Fodera Yin Yang Standard models and if so, what do you think?

I've always loved the Yin Yang bass, I know it's not everyone's taste but I like it!

I know they are very expensive instruments, for some not worth the price tag, that it won't make you sound like Wooten... just asking for honest opinions from people who have played it.

Edited by PauBass

I've played the one that BassGear used to have

http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/bass-guitars/fodera/yin-yang-standard/

I think it arrived over here and was sold in under a week!

Fodera can sell all they can make of these & I know Phil has ordered more for delivery sometime in Spring :)

I have to admit that I approached it quite negatively - not least because I owned a, much more expensive, Yin Yang Custom at the time.

However it really won me over after playing it for a bit. Looked great even though it obviously doesn't have the amazing split wood build quality of the Customs. Sounds was rich & full with plenty of attacking snarl & growl but if you soloed the neck pickup & wound the tone off you could get a great Precision type thump as well.

Not sure if the guy who bought it is a regular here or not - maybe give Phil a bell or send him a message & I'm sure he'll be able to give you a more details :)

I've just sold one of my Yin-Yangs - heartbroken to see it go, but needs must. These basses are definitely an acquired taste and the visuals are subjective, but they are beautifully put-together and the guys at Fodera seem to have a passion for what they do. I waited over two years for my maple-board example and was knocked out by the quality. The ebony-boarded variant that I'm using daily has a thicker tone than the maple and is a tad heavier but Ive got used to it now. I would recommend giving one of these a try if you're after a high-end bass.

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1323421826' post='1463065']
They're doing other "Standards" too, aren't they? Emperors and such.
[/quote]

There are currently two Standard models.

A Monarch Yin Yang 4 and a new Emperor 5.

All are 'fixed' builds with zero options on finish, pickup configuration, number of strings etc.

All are built in batches and every batch sells out very quickly!

I'd guess that they are likely to bring out one new version every year / 18 months.

BassGear have two of each of the current models on order - looking forward to trying them :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1323424557' post='1463108']
....BassGear have two of each of the current models on order - looking forward to trying them :)
[/quote]

I'd love to try one of them!

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1323442795' post='1463485']
...if I were set on owning a Fodera, I suspect I'd rather just have a plain Monarch with the dovetail neck.
[/quote]

Yes but isn't the Monarch with dovetail neck around $3000 more expensive than the Standard Yin Yang?

Edited by PauBass

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1323449172' post='1463583']
Pretty sure Phil has a pic of a Standard & a Custom hanging side by side (both sold now).

I'll message him & see if he can post it here
[/quote]
Yes, here's that rare shot ...only occurred for one day (The YY Standard went before I could print a ticket) and the Deluxe sold soon after.
We have two more YY Standards ordered which are due around Easter, plus around May time we are expecting two of the new Emperor 5 Standards.
The Standards are being made in very small batches and are typically taking around 8 months from order to delivery. The one pictured here, played really well, which is why it found a good home within 24 hours of arriving!

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/49670968@N08/6486476083/"][/url]

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' timestamp='1323595585' post='1464728']
Yes, here's that rare shot ...only occurred for one day (The YY Standard went before I could print a ticket) and the Deluxe sold soon after.
We have two more YY Standards ordered which are due around Easter, plus around May time we are expecting two of the new Emperor 5 Standards.
The Standards are being made in very small batches and are typically taking around 8 months from order to delivery. The one pictured here, played really well, which is why it found a good home within 24 hours of arriving!

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/49670968@N08/6486476083/"][/url]
[/quote]

Next ones arriving in Easter? :) ....Time to start selling and saving money, I will definitely pay a visit to your shop and try them out.
Is there much difference in sound and playability with the Yin Yang Deluxe?

Is the idea behind these that it's a "real" Fodera but with no options and a lower price?

Are there any pre-production pictures of the Emperor Standard? I've always wanted an Emperor but £7500 is a bit rich - even for my expensive taste :)!

Edited by Toasted

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1323705342' post='1466041']
Is the idea behind these that it's a "real" Fodera but with no options and a lower price?

[/quote]

I think so, it's a real Fodera but with no options, no customizations allowed, and costs less than half of the Yin Yang Deluxe's price.