Why become a member? ×

DR Black Beauties

TheGreek

Yes, I use a pick and the coating comes off pretty quickly where the pick strikes it. Easily fixed with a permanent marker pen. Not so easy to fix when it wears on the back of the string where it rubs on the frets. But they sound and feel great for my purposes.

Not sure if its been mentioned yet but the coating tends to come off pretty quick lol.

I had a set of Neons last year and they seemed a bit better but i didnt keep them too long as i dont like the feel of these strings. I do have a set of Black Beauties on my Jazz at the moment but i got them cheap off here to try. Nice tone but i dont like the rough feel.

I had Red Devils on my Jag for about 3-4 months before any chipping, but Ive had Black Beauties on for over 6 months now, and there isn't a single scratch on them, no chips.

I used a pick more on the RDs though, and not at all with the BBs - I like them, but I'm looking for a new brand now, IMHO they are good, but there is plenty of room for improvement. Too much room for improvement.

I play fingerstyle, quite hard with the odd bit of pop/slap, and my black beauties on one bass are about 2 years old and still going. They're worn to silver at the backs at the fret points and somewhat worn where I pluck the strings but that's really not at all visible unless you're staring from close up - more importantly they still sound less dead than eg a set of Rotos/Slinkys etc of an equivalent age/playing time.