Why become a member? ×

Band Lighting ideas.

paulbass

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1323703746' post='1466001']
[size=5][sub]Anyone got a good recommendation for lighting software and the dev it needs to run from a laptop..?[/sub][/size]

[size=5][sub]I was thinking software and a USB/DMX type converter device?[/sub][/size]
[size=5][sub]I want to program a set....only pretty basically....at first.[/sub][/size]
[/quote]If I remember right one of the guitarists in my main band (which is that nowadays I'm losing track) used to go out as a duo with his ex about 15+ years ago and had the backing tracks for the set programmed to MIDI but then went on to develop an interface that allowed the lights to be programmed and loaded along with the MIDI track. I think it may even have gone into production. I shall have to ask him when he is back after the holidays

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1323807609' post='1467420']
If I remember right one of the guitarists in my main band (which is that nowadays I'm losing track) used to go out as a duo with his ex about 15+ years ago and had the backing tracks for the set programmed to MIDI but then went on to develop an interface that allowed the lights to be programmed and loaded along with the MIDI track. I think it may even have gone into production. I shall have to ask him when he is back after the holidays
[/quote]

My Showtec desk can be run via Midi although being new to DMX and LED lighting myself i have no idea how to use it - YET !!! :)

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Bought a pair of Equinox Mega Bars and they're great. I had intended to use them with the supplied foot controller which would have been good and but my Ladies dad, an ex drummer offered to "do the lights". I found a Ryger controller which he uses to great effect and interfaces with the Mega Bar excellently. However, had I known that we had a 'lighting guy' available I would have gone down the LED par can with a separate controller route. Would have been a lot more versatile.

The Equinox is a seriously good bit of kit if you want a bright stage with plenty of light changes and only have the band members to control the lights.