Why become a member? ×

Multi-channel voice processor - anyone know of one?

The Dark Lord

Hi

There are three vocalist in our band. Two of us use vocal pre amps to improve the vocal sounds - one of us doesn't. We presently use a Boss VE20 and and a TC Helicon Harmony G. Mostly for subtle doubling plus reverb and eq shaping. We don't use the tone correction on the Boss as it can make the guitars sound strange when bled through the vocal mikes. Overall, the effect is very pleasing.

We reckon we should all use the same make / model of processor with everyone on similar settings, to give more of an integrated whole band feel.

Does anyone know of a multi-channel vocal processor which could take three separate inputs - probably one we could stick on a rack?

Other option is we could have 3 x a single U rack processor - like a TC Helicon Voiceworks.

Any suggestions on what you have used previously would be appreciated.

Hmm, I`m trying to think of reasons why you can`t all be fed to the same unit via a stereo group and insert the unit across that.
If you`re all on similar vocal treatment I can`t see why it would be a problem.
If your lead vocal needs slightly different treatment, use the VE20 for that alone, and send the others to the Helican group.
Make sense?

Whats wrong with aux sends?

:)

Ah yes this is very much inline processing (what with eq and all that)

Are you eqing the 'main' dry vocal part and the effected stuff with this device?

Could be handy to use channel eq for dry vocal and the devices eq to manage eqing the wet signal, then you can use a single unit and an aux send (assuming they arent all being used for monitors).

Otherwise if you have groups on your desk Monckyman has hit on a perfectly good inline solution for you.

Edited by 51m0n

Yeah. That is a consideration. We could get a small secondary mixer and route all of the vocals through that, prior to the signal reaching a single processor and then main desk. The small mixer could then be used to manage the relative volumes of each vocalist. Only trouble with that one is that we like to separate the vocals in the stereo field slightly, related to where on the stage each microphone is. That wouldn't be possible like that.

If your unit isn`t properly stereo,as in two in two out then yes you`ll miss any panning you might want to do.
Personally, I don`t pan vocals live ever, doesn`t make sense to me to take a vocal away from half your audience just because they are stood on that side of the stage.
Also,it seems a bit expensive buying a unit for each voice to save a bit of panning.
Also, you don`t need a submixer to do this, just a desk with a stereo sub group with insert points and route all the vocals to it,then route it back to stereo.
Your call though.
Hope you find a solution.

When I say separate the vocals in the stereo field - I only mean slightly. One dead centre, one slightly left and one slightly right. It does help you to identify the harmonies from the melody and makes thigs a lot clearer and more pleasing. It's also a bit more realistic as you can identify the voice to the standing position on the stage.