Why become a member? ×

SOLD

Dosi Y'Anarchy

Hey peeps,

Selling this for my guitarist, contemplated keeping it but im pretty much just a fender b*tch and i've got a Fender Jag thats actually mine that I already dont use.

As far as i can discover, this is a Kramer-era Spector, Produced in Korea between 1988 and 1990.

It looks exactly like the NS2c in the following link :

[url="http://www.spectorbass.com/about/model_years_2.html"]http://www.spectorba...el_years_2.html[/url]

HOWEVER, it is NOT a bolt on, but a through-neck which leads me to suspect it is a modified NS2b. Here are the specs from that site:

MODEL DETAILS YEARS
PRODUCED TOTAL
PRODUCTION ORIGINAL
LIST NS-2B™ [list]
[*]Neck-Thru construction
[*]Pearl dot neck.
[*]Flat Body with Contoured Edges, basic shape similar to the NS-Bass™
[*]Black hardware
[*]Passive pickups
[*]Korean NS-2A circuit, a copy of the famous [color=#D4B309][b][i]SPECTOR®[/i][/b][/color] USA NS-2™ 9v circuit
[/list]
1988-1990 Unknown $899.00

BUT this bass no longer has an Active circuit, its passive and controls are Volume (x2) and Tone (x2).

I've just fitted this bass with fresh Rotosound RB50 strings and it has a high action to handle the low tunings we play (c#,g#,c#,f#), I also cleaned and moisturised the rosewood fretboard with lemon oil and polished the frets. I also polished the bass with some guitar polish.

Now for pictures:

Obviously, this bass is older than more than a few scallywags on this forum and as such its taken a few knocks in its life, but nothing major, the most noticable issue is that the pickup selector switch has snapped off, its currently set at the middle position, so both volume and tone controls will affect the overall sound and the pickups can be solo'd with the volume controls.

Here are some pics of the scrapes:

The Price?
PRICEDROP as of 18/12/11:
I'm looking for £225 + £15 for mainland UK postage, - No offers or trades please (well, unless you have something fender or epiphone or a few interesting effects pedals)

I take paypal and bank transfer. and if you want to collect from me, i've recently moved to Northwood Hills, Middlesex but can often be found on tuesday and thursday evenings near Old Street in London.

Edited by Dosi Y'Anarchy

Sorry for all the questions........

Can you tell me what the neck's like, feel-wise? Also, what's the condition of the neck like; is it nice and straight (no twist or warp), and what is the fret wear like?

I'm assuming that because it's been detuned, you've used heavy gauge strings and it'll need a new nut to go back to standard gauge strings?

PM me if you'd prefer.

Cheers

Hey TRBboy,

totally happy to post answers on the thread as best I can, as im sure the answers will be asked by others.

To me, other than the action being a little high (to counteract fret buzz from detuning so low) everything seems fine intonation wise, but im really not an expert. I cant see any twist or warp but then again im no expert. its a 3 octave neck and the open string sounds in tune to the 2nd and third octave on each string. As Far as fret-wear goes, it doesnt look like much to me, happy to take more detailed photos if required.

I made the assumption that my guitarist previously put heavy-gauge strings on because he likes downtuning and used to play bass in a metal band AND they looked like bloody heavy strings - however my guitarist hasnt changed the strings for about 5 years he said so he couldnt tell me for sure, however the RB50s seemed to fit right in and everything sounds good.

Obviously the neck itself is painted the same as the rest of the bass so if you prefer a satin feel, then i'd look elsewhere or get the sanding block out! it feels maybe a tiny bit wider than my Jaguar bass neck but a little shallower. This in my opinion though.

I've not cut the nut for the heavy strings but they seem to fit nicely, whether you wanted to get a new nut or not would be up to you. A new nut is about £12.

For an extra £40 i can get the bass set up by Stuart Monks ([url="http://www.westmount-music.co.uk/category/Servicing___Repairs/Guitar_Repairs_and_Servicing,i.html"]http://www.westmount-music.co.uk/category/Servicing___Repairs/Guitar_Repairs_and_Servicing,i.html[/url]) - please note i am NOT affiliated with Westmount Music but Stu has done alot of work for me in the past and recently.

If you would like me to get a different gauge of strings on the bass so that it can be set up with your chosen gauge then the total cost will be £50 on top of the bass+postage cost and the strings will be of the Rotosound RB series.
[url="http://www.rotosound.com/roto_bass.php"]http://www.rotosound.com/roto_bass.php[/url]

No Idea mate, first spector I ever played! - it is very well made, especially for a Korean bass, I've got an '89 japanese Fender P-bass, both are very well made but the Spector has a much heavier duty bridge and is also neck-though!

I do love my P-bass tho.

Edited by Dosi Y'Anarchy

I've got one of these.

Brought it years ago and it's been on a bit of a journey as it's been refinished a couple of times and defretted.

Playability wise, they're really good. Not in the same ballpark as the Euros and US models I've owned over the years but good still.

T

• 4 weeks later...

That bass is basically the original Ned Steinburgher design. I've got a '98 NS2000-4 which was the next gen shape...

Actually apart from a slightly more slender horn it's the same. Mine has twin soap bars rather than the PJ set up. It is really beautifully made and will set-up faultlessly through all three octaves. I can arpeggio chords at the 21st fret and it sings with perfect intonation. Mine is as heavy as sin. At this price it's a proper top drawer instrument for sod all.

It will also take significant upgrading. The pre-amps in those basses were extremely good and really enjoy being hopped up to 18v from the 9v. The bridge isn't quite as good as a US model but Spector will sell you the US brass bridge which drops straight in. The machine heads are Korean ones...They're fine but not quite Grovers but the build, the wood and so on is fabulous.

Sonically It'll stand in the same room as a Warwick Streamer Stage 1

[quote name='guildbass' timestamp='1324336543' post='1473271']
That bass is basically the original Ned Steinburgher design. I've got a '98 NS2000-4 which was the next gen shape...

Actually apart from a slightly more slender horn it's the same. Mine has twin soap bars rather than the PJ set up. It is really beautifully made and will set-up faultlessly through all three octaves. I can arpeggio chords at the 21st fret and it sings with perfect intonation. Mine is as heavy as sin. At this price it's a proper top drawer instrument for sod all.

It will also take significant upgrading. The pre-amps in those basses were extremely good and really enjoy being hopped up to 18v from the 9v. The bridge isn't quite as good as a US model but Spector will sell you the US brass bridge which drops straight in. The machine heads are Korean ones...They're fine but not quite Grovers but the build, the wood and so on is fabulous.

Sonically It'll stand in the same room as a Warwick Streamer Stage 1
[/quote]

Darn, now i want one!!!... :gas:

• 3 weeks later...