Why become a member? ×

Portable EUB combo

ficelles

Second topic in one night! Just looking for folks' recommendations for an ultra-portable EUB combo.

I'm currently using an Ashdown Acoustic Radiatior, have also made use of an AER Alpha (surprisingly good). Last big gig relied on a good engineer and foldback. What's around that you can sling over one shoulder with your EUB in the other hand?

ficelles

I've tried / had a few different amps & combo's

My main amp at the moment is the GK MB200 which is tiny and sounds great with any cab, there's one for sale on here. Sounds great with upright or fender.

for a one handed carry I've got a Genz Benz Shuttle 3 8T which is amazing for it's size, or with an ext cab.

both of these amps have aux inputs so if you have a pre amp for your upright, plug that into the aux and put your fender in the front.

I know a guy who uses one of those - I think it's a 150w combo with a 10" in it, has a couple of parametric mid controls on it. He's also got an extension cab for it, similarly compact.

GK gear always looks very expensive to me, but that rig certainly seems to work very well on DB. I've used it myself with my Bassmax-equipped old ply bass and it worked well for me too.

I've played an EUB through allsorts in the past. Usually a combo suitable for bass or keyboards works well. The other thing to consider is a powered monitor or PA speaker. If portability is high on the list and money no object, Acoustic Image do some fantastic little units.

Good luck with your search.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fairly new to the whole db thing, but my Stagg EUB sounds great (to my ears anyway) through my PJB Briefcase. I know that the Briefcase might be a bit out of your price range but I'd certainly recommend you give one a go before you part with any money B)

Actually I heard a PJB Briefcase recently and was well impressed, but not by the price! In the meantime have decided to try an EBS 60 combo, which is full range and also tiltback so ideal for personal monitoring at bigger gigs. Not exactly budget but not expensive either...

So now I've ordered and paid for it, anyone tried and like or dislike them?

ficelles

Edited by ficelles

The PJB stuff is nice for sure and I may acquire something from the range at some point... one of my requirements for this combo though is that it lives in the boot of the car, out of sight and probably quite safe but still would rather not risk too much as I don't have private parking.

ficelles

Actually my main amp is an SWR Electric Blue head (the original - apparently now "collectible" if Ebay is to be believed - model) through either a 1x12 or a 1x10+1x12 cab.

But anyway have now ordered the EBS combo so hopefully the portable leave-in-the-car need is sorted.

ficelles

• 5 weeks later...