Why become a member? ×

HELP PLEASE!! Need help in finding good bass amp!

ChrisDaBass1990

Hey guys and gals,

I need help when it comes to getting a bass amp, i really don't have much clue when it comes to amps, I'm starting gigging in a band and i obviously need one. but when i look at amps online and they give me all details of things, i don't know what half of it means… and if i go into a shop i don't fancy trying to be sold to without me knowing what i need. I'm looking more for a combo then a cab.

Can anyone help me out at all and tell me what kinda things i should look for or whats a good amp to get? My price margin is about anything up to £200

Edited by ChrisDaBass1990

For your budget you're best looking secondhand.

Peavey TNT's regularly go for far less than your budget, Ashdown MAG's can be had for £200-ish as well. There's a Trace 4x10 combo for £190 in the for sale section which would be a bit of a beast - both in volume and weight! All gigable amps which you could add a second cab to at a later date.

...or, if you wanna buy new and have a warranty etc. then pushing the budget another few quid would score you something like the [url="http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Gallien-Krueger_Backline_115_Bass_Combo_Amplifier/GK-BL115"]GK Backline 115[/url] which would probably do you quite nicely. I borrowed one on a gig a while back and was rather pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Ed_S

You should be able to get something for that sort of budget.

Local music shop is selling a Ashdown Mag400 combo with 15" speaker for £250..and that will do 400w into 4 ohms..ie, an extra cab.... or a TE GP7 210 combo..which should do 300 into 4..

I would think e-bay would throw up something better than that price-wise..??

I would definitely go second-hand with that budget.

It's definitely a buyer's market at the moment, especially if you have cash. Trace Elliot gear is always available at a good price and delivers a huge amount of 'bang for your buck'. here is an example...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/160619-trace-elliot-gp7-sm-300-4x10-for-sale/"]http://basschat.co.u...-4x10-for-sale/[/url]

Great tone (IMO) from an iconic brand. Built like a tank. Heavy as a bugger, but easily powerful enough to gig with. You can't go far wrong at this sort of price.

You don't say where you are, but you need to bear shipping costs in mind if the amp of your choice is not just round the corner.

Edited by Conan