Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Soundgear SR 640 - any good?

Paul S

Can't find much info about this model - does anyone know much about it? Where it would rank in the SR hierarchy? I believe it is MIJ and am assuming it is lightweight with a fast, slim neck. There's one on the bay at the moment.

I wouldn't when there's a mega [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/157909-fs-today-only-l280-mint-1987-ibanez-sr800-japanese-4-string-bass/page__p__1435460__hl__sr800__fromsearch__1#entry1435460"]SR800 in the FS section[/url] for peanuts and you're not paying for the crap amp, too.

The SRs are classic basses, every home should have one.

Edited by Doctor J

I was hunting for a good SR800 for years without luck, til I finally caved in and picked up a SR1300 instead last year. Even still, I keep going back to look at that one but he's not keen to post so that saved Christmas in our house :)

I quite like the colour but I could understand why someone wouldn't dig it :)

OK, thanks for that. I'm not short of the odd bass to tide me over until one comes along.... :)

I am majorly curious to see how these better Ibanez models stack up against the SGC Nanyo Bass Collection, Yamaha RBX800E and Precision Lyte that I have at the moment - the never ending search for the perfect lightweight bass!

Its my Ibby thats for sale above and the photos are a bit misleading about the colour - its not pink, its a deep pearlescent red. Still for sale and needs a good home. You wont find a better light, fast playing bass in this condition. This pic below shows a better representation of the colour.
I had a Bass Collection 301 just after i bought the Ibby and it wasnt in the same league soundwise.
Paul - you must be fairly close to me, you're welcome to come and have a play and a cuppa with no obligation just so you've tried one. It may help you in your quest :)

Edited by Mudpup

MP, I was hoping you wouldn't say that.... but... you could justifiably call me shallow because I just don't like red guitars. I have no doubts it would see off the Bass Collection - I love the way that is made but the tone is not so good. And your 800 really looks quality. But, no matter how much of a steal it is, it remains very red :)

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1321394606' post='1438729']
Its my Ibby thats for sale above and the photos are a bit misleading about the colour - its not pink, its a deep pearlescent red. Still for sale and needs a good home. You wont find a better light, fast playing bass in this condition. This pic below shows a better representation of the colour.
I had a Bass Collection 301 just after i bought the Ibby and it wasnt in the same league soundwise.
Paul - you must be fairly close to me, you're welcome to come and have a play and a cuppa with no obligation just so you've tried one. It may help you in your quest :)

[/quote]Is that your actual SR, or an image off the net?

Its an image off the net but my original pics made it look a pinky sort of red and the one above is absolutely spot on for the shade. Its called Lipstick Red and its a bit pearly - mine make it look a coral red because of the room lighting.
It is most definitely red though (and red things are way faster as we all now - except in selling it seems :) )
Heres some of mine

ps i think it may be sold tomorrow - theres a guy who bought my other bass yeaterday who also played Ibby and has fallen in lust. He's trying to raise the cash and will call me Thursday. I have given him dibs on it.