Why become a member? ×

Squire CV Jazz Chrome Control Plate

jim_bass

The chrome control plate on my Classic Vibe jazz has gone really cloudy and looks terrible. I've already taken the plate off as I needed to replace the jack socket. So, I've tried cleaning the control plate with various household products - vinegar/water, toothpaste, mr muscle oven cleaner etc. Nothing is cleaning it up. Next idea was brasso but I don't want to waste money on it if it won't work.

I've also looked at buying a genuine fender control plate, but after a bit of reading on the internet, am concerned that it wont line up properly with the squier pickguard - don't have the money to replace everything!

Any suggestions? Is there something that will definitely clean it up? Are there after market chrome plates that are designed for a squire?

[quote name='jim_bass' timestamp='1321132424' post='1435817']
Do you think a fender plate will fit?
[/quote]

Well, the screw holes might not line up exactly but the overall shape will be similar - I'm reckoning that Fender won't have bothered tweaking the design much over the product range.

I bought an aftermarket scratchplate for my JB and ended up with less than a mm gap between the plate and scratchplate - I'm just too lazy to do anything about it. :)

Provided you're prepared to fill the old screw holes and drill some new pilot holes I reckon it should be a reasonably good fit - and don't forget, you can probably get an extra little bit of adjustment if you slacken off the pickguard screws. :)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1321186517' post='1436161']
Chrome is really hard, I think toothpaste is just chalk powder, so probably won't have scratched it.
[/quote]

True, but milkiness of the finish seems to generally indicate a poor quality plating process and no amount of polishing is going to resolve that.

If you have a look on eBay you'll see that some of the J control plates for sale have a dimensional drawing in the blurb. You could find a few, take a few mesurments and make a card template of the one thats closest to yours, then, if it's the same you could buy it.

A friend of mine also had the same complaint as you on his CV J and he replaced it with a black one off eBay, usually they are available in chrome, black & gold colour so you will probably be ok on eBay, hope this is some help.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' timestamp='1321221070' post='1436738']
If you have a look on eBay you'll see that some of the J control plates for sale have a dimensional drawing in the blurb. You could find a few, take a few mesurments and make a card template of the one thats closest to yours, then, if it's the same you could buy it.

A friend of mine also had the same complaint as you on his CV J and he replaced it with a black one off eBay, usually they are available in chrome, black & gold colour so you will probably be ok on eBay, hope this is some help.
[/quote]

Any chance of getting the ebay shop link from your mate?
I was looking at mine last night and it too is getting a bit tarnished, and i quite fancy getting a black one.

No problem if you cant, ill go looking for one at the weekend.

Dave, says he can't remember which seller, but he's pretty sure it was the same size as a gen Fender one. There are plenty for sale on the bay with dimensional pictures, so a quick compare with a ruler on yours should tell you for definate.

There was a post on talkbass, (just can't find it at the mo) of a guy modding a cv jazz, that had a lot of info (he fit a black one) could have been something like; 'perfect fitting parts for Squiers'. hope this helps.
Nick.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1322567411' post='1452645']
Any chance of getting the ebay shop link from your mate?
I was looking at mine last night and it too is getting a bit tarnished, and i quite fancy getting a black one.

No problem if you cant, ill go looking for one at the weekend.
[/quote]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CHROME-BLANK-ELECTRICS-PLATE-FENDER-JAZZ-BASS-/150671381346?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2314b6d362

Cheers Nick. I know the thread you're talking about, ill have a look in there. I have seen a Orange Squier with a black plate and PG, i dont think it was a CV though.

Breman. Thanks for that link. Im going to email they guy and see fi he knows whether ti will fit but at that price im tempted to just get it. I do fancy a black one though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Control-Plate-Jazz-Bass-Guitar-Repair-Part-/400249450841?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5d30b9f159

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-jazz-bass-guitar-switch-control-plate-M16-/130593735472?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&var=&hash=item6420229c07

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-Jazz-bass-guitar-control-plate-blank-chrome-black-gold-/370563802121?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&var=&hash=item9504173d36

3 black ones here Dave, you may have to e-mail about perfect fit though.
Nick