Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger amp needs looking at in London. PLease Help

Guest BassKS

Hi Guys,

I need this one looked at if poss. I was told it needs to go to Beyer Dynamic in Brighton!!! I dont drive and its definitely not worth doing all that trip for crackly pots if someone more local is able to fix them.

Thanks

Fatos

yup, you guys is right. I also feel that there is a bit of a "snore" coming from the cabs, a hint that they might have blown/ripped/ and may need repairing. Im kind of thinking if its worth servicing at 100 odd quid or just buy a new one. GAS has a lot to do with it.

Well if you have a ripped cone then get some tissue paper - make a small patch to cover the tear and use Copydex to glue it down.
Build up a few layers (front and back) over the tear.

The Copydex dries like rubber and is very flexible - it soaks into the tissue paper and gives you an airtight rubber patch over and around the tear.

To test if a driver is blown, remove the front grille, lay a plate face down in the cone and gently push it down.
The cone should push down and spring back freely - if you hear or feel a 'grating' then the voice coil is probably melted.

Ive been having the same problems with my GK 1001RB-II. Is the solution really as easy as that?

Ive never even looked inside an amp before, but I dont know anyone close by who does amp repairs. If its something simple then im sure I could have a go myself.

[quote name='deej' timestamp='1321049062' post='1435008']
Ive been having the same problems with my GK 1001RB-II. Is the solution really as easy as that?
[/quote]

Yep.
There are a few things that could cause that 'crackle' but the first thing any sensible amp tech will do is give it a blast of switch cleaner to see if that fixes the problem before moving onto deeper diagnosis.