Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot

Brt

Aloha

I live in Belgium and to be honest I'm not the basspro considering gear. So I stumbled upon this site and i'd figure you guys know what your talking about so, here goes...

We have a second hand musicstore somewhere near where I live and it has some Trace Elliotamps for sale. Now, I'm playing a Hartke B-90 which has been irritating me since i bought it (i was short of cash and it was a good deal when i started playing... in other words: i need to move on) so i am looking for a new amp. I tried out a trace elliot before but not with my current bass (Fender Jazz Bass Highway One, US) but i remember i took a liking of the trace elliot amp back then(playing it with a gruesome epiphone sg bass... horrible thing). The store is selling a second hand Trace Elliot GP12 SMX 250 WATT for €650 (about 500 pounds) and a Trace Elliot GP12 SMX BASS PREAMP + RA600 SX for more or less the same price... considering my bass, and the fact that in my band i don't need to be thát loud, what would be the best option? Is that a reasonable price? We don't have big stores dealing trace elliot in Belgium (not that I know of). Are their any other wicked amps any of you can recommend for a reasonable price?
I don't have any good references concerning Trace, and to be fair, their site looks like crap.

Thanks a million

Cheers,
Brt

[quote name='Brt' post='163182' date='Mar 25 2008, 03:02 PM']what would be the best option?[/quote]

Are the two Trace Elliots you mentioned combos, or just simply amplifier heads?

I tried the GP12 SMX combo last year and it sounded brilliant - although it did weigh a ton! I'd highly recommend it as a preamp if it sounds anything like the combo I tried.

[quote name='Brt' post='163182' date='Mar 25 2008, 03:02 PM']Are their any other wicked amps any of you can recommend for a reasonable price?[/quote]

If you like the Trace sound, you might want to have a look at some of the older Ashdown gear, such as the earlier ABM range. Mark Gooday (founded of Ashdown) was Trace Elliot's Managing Director for some time, so some of the same technical expertise is present in both brands.

The newer Ashdown models are notorious for having reliability issues though, so if you're looking at buying one, I'd definitely try to get one made as close to 1997 as possible.

Hope this helps!

Danny

[quote name='Brt' post='163182' date='Mar 25 2008, 03:02 PM']Aloha

I live in Belgium and to be honest I'm not the basspro considering gear. So I stumbled upon this site and i'd figure you guys know what your talking about so, here goes...

We have a second hand musicstore somewhere near where I live and it has some Trace Elliotamps for sale. Now, I'm playing a Hartke B-90 which has been irritating me since i bought it (i was short of cash and it was a good deal when i started playing... in other words: i need to move on) so i am looking for a new amp. I tried out a trace elliot before but not with my current bass (Fender Jazz Bass Highway One, US) but i remember i took a liking of the trace elliot amp back then(playing it with a gruesome epiphone sg bass... horrible thing). The store is selling a second hand Trace Elliot GP12 SMX 250 WATT for €650 (about 500 pounds) and a Trace Elliot GP12 SMX BASS PREAMP + RA600 SX for more or less the same price... considering my bass, and the fact that in my band i don't need to be thát loud, what would be the best option? Is that a reasonable price? We don't have big stores dealing trace elliot in Belgium (not that I know of). Are their any other wicked amps any of you can recommend for a reasonable price?
I don't have any good references concerning Trace, and to be fair, their site looks like crap.

Thanks a million

Cheers,
Brt[/quote]
If you like the Trace sound, then go for the separate pre+power amp. £500 is the most I'd pay though. If the 250W is a head, it's overpriced IMO.

The 250W SMX is a combo...I prefer owning a combo right now so i think that will be the best option right now! Do you guys have any idea what the price for a new one is in the UK because, like i said earlier, this one is used (second hand).

Thanks for the comments

Brt

[quote name='Merton' post='163581' date='Mar 26 2008, 09:32 AM']If you like the Trace sound, then go for the separate pre+power amp. £500 is the most I'd pay though. If the 250W is a head, it's overpriced IMO.[/quote]
Like this one [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14570"]Here[/url] :)