Why become a member? ×

Hartke 4x10 opinion

Dave D

does anybody have experience of the Hartke 4x10 cab or the Hydrive? Apart from the the hydrive being rated at 1000 watts is it much different to the 410XL. The XL is £200 less than the hydrive and I don't really need 1000 watts although extra headroom is always handy I guess.

I`ve used a Hartke 410 XL, and owned the 115 & 210 from this range. I thought all of them were cracking cabs, but to me, the 410 seemed to be able to do what the 115 & 210 paired together could do, but on it`s own. Nice and tight lows, more than enough highs, and that classic clear Hartke sound.

The 410 XL is a heavy cab though. If the extra £200 isn`t an issue, it could be a wise move to check out the Hydrive.

Hi Dave, other than the afore mentioned weight and price difference, they are tonally a little different too. I'm running a pair of 4.5XL cabs and I have also recently swapped out a pair of HyDrive 410 cabs for a pair of Hydrive112 cabs for smaller gigs. The hydrives are designed to have a warmer sound than the XL range (that have a lovely scoop to them and sounds huge when you drive them). It's a pants thing to say, but it'd be great if you could get out and give them both a test drive to see which you'd prefer.

As for the wattage.. I've ran a single 4.5xl with my 1000w head for months now and it hasn't complained.. After all, you're not playing at 1000w ALL the time :) oh.. And the hydrives have a tweeter you can turn down or off, where as the standard 410XL has no tweeter, but is a ported cab so will sound brassier in comparison to the HyDrive.

Iv had a 410 transporter cab before and really liked it, good sound and reliable as anything! Dood gives good advice and you can always ring Mr. Hartke himself. If you didn't know he famously put his mobile number in his ads and if he doesn't answer, leave a message and he will get back to you.

Hope you get sorted!

Dan

• 4 months later...

Unsure if anyone is still following this thread but I have had an old 410XL (rated at 240W 8ohm output) for quite some time and have had some trouble with buzzing on higher register notes. Myself and a few others have had a look at the drivers themselves and can't find any sign of tearing or melting. Has anyone got any ideas why my cab is doing this and what can be done to solve this? Either way I feel that i might need to update the drivers to the more recent ones, any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers