Why become a member? ×

Is it worth getting courier insurance on a £700 bass?

CBbass

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1320322111' post='1425241']
This is interesting. I use interparcel and always take out enhanced cover when I post anything. However, their list of prohibited items specifically mentions items with magnets or magnetic material in - which would include speakers and pickups I would have thought.
[/quote]

Yeah it specifically mentions ferrite magnets and speakers. I described the item as a bass cabinet and when I put a claim in I was clear to use the words "ceramic driver" rather than "ferrite speaker". I figured it was unlikely they have messrs Claber or Fitzmaurice working in their claims department so tried my luck hoping it's work.

It did! :)

Something else to remember is that some couriers (DHL) require photographic proof of a damaged parcel, [i]before[/i] it is opened! So the buyer would have to have the common sense to either not sign for it or not open it and contact the seller before checking inside which I think is almost impossible to stop!

Insurance through the carriers is a little more expensive than the hassle of finding a cheaper shipping insurance agent on your own, I sell guitars and gear worldwide, I always insure had a problem only on 1 shipment in thr past 12 years, luckily I did have it fully vested ( 1953 Martin 000-28 Brazilian model) UPS did not trash it , but it did sustain damage in shipping, I was paid fully for repairs, the de-evealuation and shipping fee's. Tis better to have and not need than to need and not have is my motto...

Edited by gregsguitars

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1320692555' post='1430149']
Something else to remember is that some couriers (DHL) require photographic proof of a damaged parcel, [i]before[/i] it is opened! So the buyer would have to have the common sense to either not sign for it or not open it and contact the seller before checking inside which I think is almost impossible to stop!
[/quote]

Interparcel required detailed photos of the exterior of the parcel, the interior showing all packing and the actual item itself.

I was a little worried as the package was not damaged at all and the seller had packed it extremely well, the cab also looked new. The damaged to the driver was most likely caused by a sudden jolt rather than being crushed.

Fortunately I got a cover note from John at EA detailing the likely faults and what had caused them, also what repairs would cost from EA and what my options were. I think this was very beneficial to have and would reccommend shooting a quick email to the manufacturers of any damaged items, after all it's hard to argue with a professional opinion.