Why become a member? ×

Ibanez EDB600 - What's the modern equivalent?

BigEd

Hi,

New to Basschat and this is my first post :)

I'm looking for a new bass and have played a couple of Ibanez EDB600 (ergodyne), which I really loved the feel of. Please can anyone tell me what an equivalent model in the current range is? I'm a bit overwhelmed with the whole Ibanez range, with it's sub-models, specials, etc., etc.

Thanks,
BigEd

Thanks for the feedback Rockford. I know the luthite bodies have stopped, I beleive they've found cheaper ways of making the shape in wood. It's such a comfortable shape isn't it!

I was coming to the same conclusion about the SR range. Thanks again.

Wonder if anyone's got anything else to add?

Cheers

Sorry. I lied. It [i]was[/i] the EDB 550 (4 string) and EDB 555 (5 string).
They've stopped making them now by the looks.
It's down to;

GSR
SR (and prestiges using that body shape)
ATK
BTB
Jetking
Grooveline

I didn't even see the ICB (Iceman) in there, though I did quickly gloss over the site...

There's no direct EDB replacement, and the Groovelines (though "interesting") are much more expensive.

Best bet's something on th S/H market. Sorry.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1320008823' post='1421306']

I [i]think[/i] some Cort Curbows are, though.

[/quote]
Yes, the Curbows are made of Luthite.

They probably had a load left over from making the EDB's :) (well known that Cort make some of Ibanez basses, isn't it? :) )

I've only seen an EDB once. Looked and sounded very nice.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the additional comments above people.

Not had much time to play the new bass (EDB550) but generally I'm enjoying it. A couple of points that may be of interest to any who are thinking of buying similar:

The action on this 550 feels quite different from how I remember the couple of 600s I tried previously (although it was a while ago now). When I get a bit more time I'll start fiddling about and see how low I can comfortably get the action. The 600s I played were both Luthite and had a synthetic coating on the back of the neck - this 550 is ash (natural finish) and therefore a natural neck and feels very different to play - and sadly I don't think it's a particularly brilliant finish on the neck.

I broke my own golden rule of never buying an instrument I haven't actually played - at the moment I regret it a bit. I may grow to love it, but sadly there was that initial bit of disapointment :(