Why become a member? ×

Spoilt?

2wheeler

My first solid body electric bass is a single pick-up Warwick Rockbass Streamer standard. I used to think it was great and I loving tweaked the action, strung it with the finest DR strings. It has been in a cupboard for a few months now as I have been getting used to my new(er) Ibanez BTB555 (thankyou Tinman, it's a beaty!) and thought it better not to keep switching between the two until used to the new one.

So far so good.

I am on holiday and wanted to take something with me for practice so I packed the smaller Rockbass. Then I come to get it out and have a bit of a play. Eeek! :)
Suddenly it has become cheap and nasty. The neck is like a baseball bat, the tone is muddy and the only really good thing about it is the strings...

Does this happen to everyone? Am I just going to rachet my way up, getting a taste for more and more expensive instruments until I lust after some piece of custom-made sonic artwork (I am already thinking John Shuker :huh: )?

And would avoiding the bass bash help to slow things down a bit? (Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's bad-ass.)

[quote name='2wheeler' post='162318' date='Mar 23 2008, 07:22 PM']My first solid body electric bass is a single pick-up Warwick Rockbass Streamer standard. I used to think it was great and I loving tweaked the action, strung it with the finest DR strings. It has been in a cupboard for a few months now as I have been getting used to my new(er) Ibanez BTB555 (thankyou Tinman, it's a beaty!) and thought it better not to keep switching between the two until used to the new one.

So far so good.

I am on holiday and wanted to take something with me for practice so I packed the smaller Rockbass. Then I come to get it out and have a bit of a play. Eeek! :)
Suddenly it has become cheap and nasty. The neck is like a baseball bat, the tone is muddy and the only really good thing about it is the strings...

Does this happen to everyone? Am I just going to rachet my way up, getting a taste for more and more expensive instruments until I lust after some piece of custom-made sonic artwork (I am already thinking John Shuker ;) )?

And would avoiding the bass bash help to slow things down a bit? (Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's bad-ass.)[/quote]

[Sigh] It happens to most of us 2wheeler, it happens to most of us. And it gets worse. Eventually, just one Shuker won't be enough, you'll want a Pedulla too, or a Roscoe, or a Sei. And that's just the expensive stuff. Obviously, you'll need a precision and a jazz as well, that's a given. And probably a proper warwick of some description too.

Look at my sig... It may not happen to everyone but [and I hate to tell you this] from the contents of your post, you're already turning into me. I pity you.

:huh:

Edited by Scoop

I've been spoiled as well. I only had a cheap Columbus & then a Hohner Jack active before I got my first Status in 1990. While I had that original Status bass I must've gone through about 10-15 other instruments, all of which got sold on.

More recently I've bought a few more new Status basses, built to order & have built up a nice arsenal of other instruments alongside them. Problem is, you try another bass further down the price range & it never quite lives up to your "premium" basses. For example, I bought a new MIM Fender Jazz V a couple of years ago & traded up to a CIJ Geddy Lee signature jazz. That has now been traded again for a new MIA S1 jazz. That's better...

It's a bloody addiction!

But then again, it beats gambling :)

Hmm... in contrary to other views posted, I'm not totally sure this is the case - it could just be that you've formed an attachment to the newer bass and so the other just seems different and therefore WRONG; maybe by the end of your holiday you'll be used to it again and it'll be okaeey? Try playing them both a bit more often

different basses do different things. My status shark sounds great on some stuff and the fender p better on others. If i play the P loads then i dislike the status for a while.
Switching from rosewood with big frets to maple with thin likewise takes getting used too.

What is funny however is my fingers 'memory' is totally different on both basses so when just making stuff up without really thinking the results will be totally different.