Why become a member? ×

I am spoilt for choice for my next NBD

Grand Wazoo

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1319919997' post='1420201']

The aerodyne's not any thinner than a normal jazz in the centre (I just checked), it just tapers off outside the line of the neck. And mine is certainly nice and resonant.
[/quote]

can you measure the thickness in the centre please cause Sheldon asked for it but I didn't have a clue. Thanks

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1319920133' post='1420204']

can you measure the thickness in the centre please cause Sheldon asked for it but I didn't have a clue. Thanks
[/quote]

It's actually quite tricky to do without a large enough caliper because of the tapering...but at the neck joint lower cutaway where it's easiest to get a ruler in, it measures between 41 and 42mm. This is within a mm or 2 of my MIJ 75. The back profile is flat either side of the centreline for a total width of between 11 and 12 cm, before falling off quite sharply on the wings. The front has a more gradual contour that appears to start closer to the centre, maybe 6-7 cm around the centreline is flat at the bridge end. I can't tell if the radius is compound along the length the body but looks like it might be a bit. The body contours at their furthest (thinnest) edges from the centreline are just ~17mm thick, the horns at their furthest are ~27mm.

It's a very comfy body shape to play except it could still do with the forearm contouring of a standard jazz.

Hope that helps!

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1319922031' post='1420224']

It's actually quite tricky to do without a large enough caliper because of the tapering...but at the neck joint lower cutaway where it's easiest to get a ruler in, it measures between 41 and 42mm. This is within a mm or 2 of my MIJ 75. The back profile is flat either side of the centreline for a total width of between 11 and 12 cm, before falling off quite sharply on the wings. The front has a more gradual contour that appears to start closer to the centre, maybe 6-7 cm around the centreline is flat at the bridge end. I can't tell if the radius is compound along the length the body but looks like it might be a bit. The body contours at their furthest (thinnest) edges from the centreline are just ~17mm thick, the horns at their furthest are ~27mm.

It's a very comfy body shape to play except it could still do with the forearm contouring of a standard jazz.

Hope that helps!
[/quote]

It certainly does, I'll pass it on word by word, thanks for your contribution! :)

Pleased you find yourself in this position.

If you have a regular gig, I'd pick the rig of choice and then change the car to transport it if required.

In my case that would be a 610 on tilt castors and appropriate head..probably a DB750.

I'd also have a scaled down smaller rig for those tighter places.
I get Sei to make me a Custom J5 or find something in the U.S that I wanted.

That is assuming that this money was all surplus and over and above doing a few more important things.

[quote name='retroman' timestamp='1320002586' post='1421180']
A trip to Bass Direct is enough to clear anyones GAS.......and wallet! :)
[/quote]

Yeah I know but that place is well out of reach, last time I got there I had a puncture too and to find a tyre replacing garage was strangley very hard. Funny part of the world grrr

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1320006014' post='1421255']

Yeah I know but that place is well out of reach, last time I got there I had a puncture too and to find a tyre replacing garage was strangley very hard. Funny part of the world grrr
[/quote]

Know what you mean, it was quite a serious trek out for me too, but the guitar shops local to me have dwindled down to a state of nearly useless for bassists. Was well worth the trip, and came away a happy bunny :)

Dingwall's were a plenty, and first time I had ever tried one. Found the fanned frets surprisingly easy, and intuitive. Impressed :)