Why become a member? ×

3 Leaf Audio GR2

fretmeister

I saw a few old threads on these. But what about now that people have had a chance to use them for a bit?

I've got a Sub-Decay Prometheus which is great but I fancy a change. The Prom isn't great with 18V basses and seems to suit passive instruments better. BUt I don't really play passive!

ta

• 3 months later...

Know what you mean - I was like that before I bought the MuTron and look at me now still hankering after another bloody envelope filter!!

What is the Proton like?

Seems to me like the GR2 is always preferred though by most for some reason.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1327679312' post='1515302']
Me too, i'm waiting for the arrival of my new(ish) MXR M82 thus leaving me with 3 wha's !!??? (3Leaf GR, 3Leaf Proton and MXR M82) and i'm still thinking that i should sell all of them and get a GR2...
[/quote]

The GR and the Proton are quite different circuits based on different pedals. If i were to put the sounds into words (to my ears), the Proton is a very wet sounding qwacky auto-wah and the GR is a smooth, phat envelope. I LOVE my GR, I have the 1st one, rather than the GR2. I understand that tonally they are the same, but you have the addition of the blend on the GR2 plus some other slight functionality tweaks.

If I was playing in a funk band I think I'd get use form the blend, but its little use to me n what I currently do. Either way, they sound AMAZING on bass.

The Proton was a little too thin sounding for my tastes, though it is still a very decent filter.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1327680299' post='1515321']
Cheers Shep - it is weird though becuase Spencer at 3Leaf tried to emulate the MuTron exactly with the Proton but the GR2 is more popular!! Maybe he did not get as close to the 'Tron as he had hoped?
[/quote]

It is very close to the MuTron... But I always thought the MuTron was a little weak sounding. The issue you have is that the GR s based on the stripped down core envelope of the Lovetone Meatball - Which is a hugh fat subby envelope. if you put any envelope filter next to Meatball they are going to sound thin, as they do next to the GR. Fact is though, that in some musical situations that tone is harder to cut through and the MuTron rarely struggles to cut through as it has far more mid range, hence the Proton is likely more usable in many band situations. That doesn't stop the GR sounding MASSIVE though :)

After a gated fuzz the GR is THE envelope to use for synth bass stuff IME.

I think that the MuTron is much better in the studio then it ever is live - agreed that it does struggle to cut through live. The MuTron does sound great after the Brown Dog on my board - much better than the Aguilar Filter Twin but so tempted to hear a GR2 there now!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1327680590' post='1515326']
It is very close to the MuTron... But I always thought the MuTron was a little weak sounding. The issue you have is that the GR s based on the stripped down core envelope of the Lovetone Meatball - Which is a hugh fat subby envelope. if you put any envelope filter next to Meatball they are going to sound thin, as they do next to the GR. Fact is though, that in some musical situations that tone is harder to cut through and the MuTron rarely struggles to cut through as it has far more mid range, hence the Proton is likely more usable in many band situations. That doesn't stop the GR sounding MASSIVE though :)

After a gated fuzz the GR is THE envelope to use for synth bass stuff IME.
[/quote]

I LOVE my GR and the only reason it's not in my board is because i wanted to see if i could get a similar sound from the Proton and gain (in fact loose) pedalboard realestate! The Proton wasn't able to take it's place...
I agree completely with Shep's description of the Proton vs GR, right on the spot! I think i can see some (not much) use for the blend on the GR2 that's why i have the MXR on it's way - cheaper way to see if the blend is helpfull!

I'm now starting to feel a new GAS comming up from the MXR side, their range has everything i need and i'm dreaming on a all-MXR pedalboard... humm... not for this topic, i think i'll start a new one to see if anybody can put some scense in my head...

I found the blend on the MXR M82 really useful but just did not like the sound of the filter - very trebley (is that a word?) and lacking a little in depth if I was honest.

A Boss LS2 would enable you to blend some dry signal with any filter though so why change?

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1327681730' post='1515351']
I LOVE my GR and the only reason it's not in my board is because i wanted to see if i could get a similar sound from the Proton and gain (in fact loose) pedalboard realestate! The Proton wasn't able to take it's place...
I agree completely with Shep's description of the Proton vs GR, right on the spot! I think i can see some (not much) use for the blend on the GR2 that's why i have the MXR on it's way - cheaper way to see if the blend is helpfull!

I'm now starting to feel a new GAS comming up from the MXR side, their range has everything i need and i'm dreaming on a all-MXR pedalboard... humm... not for this topic, i think i'll start a new one to see if anybody can put some scense in my head...
[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1327681903' post='1515358']
I found the blend on the MXR M82 really useful but just did not like the sound of the filter - very trebley (is that a word?) and lacking a little in depth if I was honest.

A Boss LS2 would enable you to blend some dry signal with any filter though so why change?
[/quote]

Tht's what i'm affraid of the MXR, i get the feeling that it still may not have the same bottom (in lack of a better word) than the GR!

The LS2 is out of the question, besides the fact that it would mean another pedal on the board (i want to minimize it) it doesn't have true-bypass, if i was to take this route i would me more unclined to a Z.CAT Blender: [url="http://www.zcatpedals.com/?dir=view&id=200910290108414IHj"]http://www.zcatpedal...910290108414IHj[/url]

Cheers

Edited by Ghost_Bass

Only 1 loop though! Slightly off topic but do like the look of the new GigRig Quarter Master!

You have to try the MXR though it may work for you - just for me it lacked a bit. I still the think that the Aguilar Filter Twin is a great pedal though.

If a GR2 comes up on here then I may well go for it but think there may well be a queue formed in front of me already!

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1327683610' post='1515403']
Tht's what i'm affraid of the MXR, i get the feeling that it still may not have the same bottom (in lack of a better word) than the GR!

The LS2 is out of the question, besides the fact that it would mean another pedal on the board (i want to minimize it) it doesn't have true-bypass, if i was to take this route i would me more unclined to a Z.CAT Blender: [url="http://www.zcatpedals.com/?dir=view&id=200910290108414IHj"]http://www.zcatpedal...910290108414IHj[/url]

Cheers
[/quote]