Why become a member? ×

Good cheapish 5ers for tuning F# B E A D?

topo morto

Anyone tried / considered taking a stock 5er and stringing it F# B E A D?

I'm imagining that 35" scale length is helpful, as would be a front-loading bridge to save trying to thread a ridiculously large string through.

Yamaha RBX 775 looks like a possibility?

I'm also not sure about the logistics of getting that low string on... I guess I was thinking of ordering the warwick dark lord strings... hence why I thought 35" scale length would be the thing.

Of course the idea might be idiotic - any wisdom welcome!

I know a few bands who try to use this tuning and TBH it sounds f**king terrible. The most common basses I've seen used by these bands are Ibby SR's.
Get to know your eq section very well before using this live and try to get the guitarists to use another sonic range if possible.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1319464740' post='1414362']
You realise that the bottom f# is only 23hz - I think only crocodiles and certain species of whale would get the benefit of it :)
[/quote]

I thought human hearing goes down to 20Hz, ish? I know getting a speaker / room system to 'do' that frequency is going to be hit and miss, and mostly miss, but there's always overtones! And it's called the 'bass'.It should be able to go all the way to the bottom!

I quite like the idea of using the bottom string as an 'non-playing' anchor when playing with fingers, so that I can always anchor on a string - but why not try to have it follow the pattern?... and there's that old chestnut about positional flexibility - low E at 10th fret, anyone?

Plus, I like certain species of whales...

I can hear up to 19KHz at the moment but i'm still a teen. I've been to told to expect to be able to hear up to about 16-17Khz if i keep my ears in good shape!

And i can hear a low F# no bother, a low C# is pushing it but i can!

Also, if you can get your hands on RBX 775 don't do that to it! They are too good for your experiements :) (Sorry, my Yamaha and RBX fan boy-isms coming through!)

Though they are great basses so if you get one for a good price i'd say it's a solid bet for a good sounding and well built instrument, that or an Ibanez SR as they just seem to have a great consistancey in tone even at the bottom range.
I think most bands who havbe F# players have guitarists with 8 strings or play on the more technical or chugging side so an Ibanez sounds right and suits the players with their light bodies and quick necks. Thats what i've noticed anyhow!

French Bassist Yves Carbonne (famous for his Sub-bass guitars which are 10 and 12 strings tuned from the E below the E of a 4 string and his great bass playing/music!) has a 4 string tuned C# F# B E there is another bassist well known for his super low notes but his name escapes me! I Believe he is a memeber of the forum now too.