Why become a member? ×

5 String discovery

5thread

I had one a few years ago and loved it. I really regret selling it now. I never had any problems with the low B and could get a nice low action from it.
The only reason i sold it was i was tempted back to Lakland with their slightly later necks. Ended up being a big mistake.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1319477848' post='1414680']
After 20 years I started on a five less than a year ago, It wasn't really by my own choice either as it was to play someone elses basslines (I still do) since then the fours get used very little now :)
[/quote]

Pretty much the same here. After twelve years I finally bought a five string. Now it is the main bass and everything else is sitting there unused. Not sure I would buy a four string again now outside of a classic Fender/Rickenbacker/Gibson/Musicman, which given my funds is not going to happen very soon.

Just got back from my 1st practice with the 5 string It went ok but going to take a bit of time to get use to it. It feels strange 25 years on a 4 now I've got five. Now do I gig this friday with the 5 or the 4. Think I'm going to sleep with it sorry I mean on it LOL. :)

When i got my first "real" 5 string, a Lakland 55-01, i got it on a Thursday, took Friday off work to learn some new songs (was going to do that anyway) and did a 3 hour wedding gig with it on the Sat. No point hanging around, especially after spending loads of money on it.

I haven't played one for a long while (although I've started to get some mild GAS for another) but the the most difficult thing I found to start with was damping, but once I got on top of that it was all good and improved my 4 playing in this respect massively. Get out and play it, that's what you bought for after all.

Edited by ezbass