Why become a member? ×

Software Loopers - Any Experience?

Rumple

For a bit of fun I thought I would try looping, I know I'm going to rubbish at it but once I have an idea in my head I'll not be happy until I've tried it, so to keep cost down I was thinking of getting a cheap secondhand MIDI controller from Ebay and look for some free or very cheap software based looper, anyone using this type of setup?

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1319394314' post='1413619']
For a bit of fun I thought I would try looping, I know I'm going to rubbish at it but once I have an idea in my head I'll not be happy until I've tried it, so to keep cost down I was thinking of getting a cheap secondhand MIDI controller from Ebay and look for some free or very cheap software based looper, anyone using this type of setup?
[/quote]

Is this not something you can do in any DAW ?
Set the loop points, then loop away until the clocks go forward.

Garry

Yes! I have!

I'd been using Ambiloop a free program for PC. It is great fun and is feature rich. Infact more so than hardware loopers as it allows you to mix pan and fade each of the 8 stereo loops. It can be triggered by MIDI, so a controller can be configured easily.

My one caveat would be too make sure you have a very low latency sound card / module and a nice quick machine as I have found that if you have a long latency throughout the system, each loop will layer itself out of time with the previous!

I also like that once you have your eight loops, you can save an export the lot to seperate channels in a DAW ( I use Reaper) and arrange the loops in any order you like and post process.

There are no doubt more loopers on the net, but this one was stable and easy to use!

Cheers dood, I'll have a look at that as it sounds ideal, my PC is very swift as I need it to be so for work and I think the Edirol USB interface should be OK.

I also use and love Reaper, it's excellent and a bargain!

I might have more looping question once I have given it a try :)