Why become a member? ×

Boss/Digitech/MXR

vicar

Hi.

After some really good input from you guys on here about Behringer pedals I was wondering what feelings were about other makes?

How do you rate Digitech? Better than Behringer but not as good as Boss?
And what about MXR? The best, or overated and over priced?

I am after a flanger or a chorus. Not sure if I should go new Behringer/Digitech or second-hand Boss/MXR. Confused :-(

Personally I'd try and pick up a 2nd hand MIJ Boss BF-2 or a CS-2. They're classics for a reason. I still regret not getting an old CS-2 when I saw one in a guitar shop in Leeds for a mere £45. I prefer older Boss pedals to the newer equivalents.

I don't like the switches on the Digitech pedals and the sound is nice but not very transparent. The Hardwire stuff is much better build and sound quality. I've only ever tried 1 MXR pedal (Carbon Copy) but I really like it and was considering them when I was looking for distortion pedals recently, although I went with a harmonic percolator clone in the end.

• 1 month later...

It's really not worth asking which brands are "better" than others. They will all provide different sounds and it really just depends on what you want for your sound. Just because someone doesn't like the DigiTech, doesn't mean you should rule it out and go for the Boss. By all means ask for opinions on specific pedals, but to disregard entire brands is overkill IMO.

Moral of the story: Try what you can, and buy what sounds good.