Why become a member? ×

Trying to date my Fender P Bass

Joshbasscana

I am trying to establish the date of my Fender P Bass. Ive been told its between a late 70's and early 80's but Im really not sure. The neck plate has a number on it - 626410, but Im not sure if this is anything to go by? Is there anything else that can give me a clue to the true date of this P bass?

Josh

[quote name='Joshbasscana' timestamp='1319061287' post='1409585']
I am trying to establish the date of my Fender P Bass. Ive been told its between a late 70's and early 80's but Im really not sure. The neck plate has a number on it - 626410, but Im not sure if this is anything to go by? Is there anything else that can give me a clue to the true date of this P bass?

Josh
[/quote]
[url="http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx"]The Guitar Dater Project[/url] says 1975 for that serial number.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='Joshbasscana' timestamp='1319062862' post='1409613']
Wowzers, that's potentially great news :) Will there be a serial number on the bottom of the neck - the part which is unseen (connected the main body of the guitar)? Ive googled this and there could be a serial number there. Just wanted to make sure before I take the neck off to have a look!
[/quote]
The neck doesn't usually have a serial number but likely has a model number, a month and a year.

If it's pre '76 it'll have no serial number on the headstock and a serif font for the 'Precision Bass' lettering. The neck code isn't guaranteed to be visible as they had a habit of fading. If the parts are all original it can't be later than the last date available from the neck, pot or pickup codes.

Try checking your bass against the timeline in another thread - http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=128339&view=findpost&p=1171344

I really must get round to finishing that off sometime. :)