Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My Girlfriend's Dad 1973 Fender Precision

Cat Burrito

I was around my girlfriend's house last night when her Dad came over. It's the second time I have met him and he's a bassist too. He'd told me he had a Fender Precision he'd bought in 1973 (I checked the serial number and his memory serves him well). Anyhow, he brought his bass over. He's got the original non-Fender case but has changed the pickguard, pickup and bridge. I gather he has all the original parts but I don't think they are in a brilliant state (all working fine though). It was his main gigging bass for most of his career so one that screams mojo rather than a museum piece. The frets have a fair bit of life on it but it would probably benefit from a refret at some point in the future. He'd quite rightly never sell it but I was curious as to what people thought it'd be worth. It's pretty lightweight too incidentally. I loved playing it!

It's quite cool having a girlfriend who's Dad is a player - she did look a bit bored when we were discussing the pro's and con's of flats verses roundwounds and at my age I should know to keep such conversation away from a partner!

Anyway, pics attached. Correction poor phone snaps attached

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1319043563' post='1409295']
.... He'd quite rightly never sell it but I was curious as to what people thought it'd be worth. [/quote]
Greetings Burrito...
It's a bit of an odd sensation comparing our post counts that I should be giving you my opinion on how much your girl's Dad's bass might be worth! But anyway...

At the top I would have said around £2600 in good unmodified condition. Changing a bridge often leaves remnant traces of having done so, as does changing a scratchplate. It's rare you can change an original s/p for an off-the-shelf replacemment without having to 'stretch' the original screw holes a bit - and in many cases fill them and re-position them slightly, so the same applies - remnant traces will always be present and these decrease values quite markedly. De-soldering has the same effect on value. My guess at best - with original parts included - would be around fifteen hundred quid. That finish isn't too popular either, so maybe even a little less.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

[quote name='mckendrick' timestamp='1319048694' post='1409368']
Greetings Burrito...
It's a bit of an odd sensation comparing our post counts that I should be giving you my opinion on how much your girl's Dad's bass might be worth! But anyway...

At the top I would have said around £2600 in good unmodified condition. Changing a bridge often leaves remnant traces of having done so, as does changing a scratchplate. It's rare you can change an original s/p for an off-the-shelf replacemment without having to 'stretch' the original screw holes a bit - and in many cases fill them and re-position them slightly, so the same applies - remnant traces will always be present and these decrease values quite markedly. De-soldering has the same effect on value. My guess at best - with original parts included - would be around fifteen hundred quid. That finish isn't too popular either, so maybe even a little less.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
[/quote]
Post count means nothing - I have a lot of chat but nothing to say. I figured between £1500 - £1800 depending on the condition of the parts not fitted.