Why become a member? ×

Dark Stars

henry norton

I've read some interesting news on the Dark Star situation. Over the past year or so many of you probably already know Fred Hammon (maker of Dark Stars) has done a bit of a 'Lane Poor' (ie stopped making pickups and all but disappeared). However, In the last week or two on TalkBass someone has posted news about a Swedish organisation that has been working with some of the old Hagstrom employees to re-recreate the Bi-Sonic, including a 5 string version. There's no more news than that for now but fingers crossed Bi-sonics will be back on the menu again!

Incidentally, has anyone got a Dark Starred bass (or better still just a pickup, or even better still, a Bi-Sonic) I could have a look at sometime???

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1318954891' post='1408223']
I've read some interesting news on the Dark Star situation. Over the past year or so many of you probably already know Fred Hammon (maker of Dark Stars) has done a bit of a 'Lane Poor' (ie stopped making pickups and all but disappeared). However, In the last week or two on TalkBass someone has posted news about a Swedish organisation that has been working with some of the old Hagstrom employees to re-recreate the Bi-Sonic, including a 5 string version. There's no more news than that for now but fingers crossed Bi-sonics will be back on the menu again!

Incidentally, has anyone got a Dark Starred bass (or better still just a pickup, or even better still, a Bi-Sonic) I could have a look at sometime???
[/quote]
Thats's interesting news. I used to have a Dearmond Starfire with Hammon Dark Stars. I regret not still having it.

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1319008333' post='1408728']
I thought that Dark Stars were going back into production? Might have read something on the Lakland forum..
[/quote]
Yeah Fred resurfaced a few months ago, fulfilled a couple of back orders then promptly disappeared again. So far as I know a few people on this forum had placed orders that have, up 'til now, not been fulfilled.
The mystery continues, let's just hope the Swedes get their act together.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1319018002' post='1408860']
I've got one in my four string - it's a good pickup but I don't think there's anything magical about it. I wonder if I should eBay it for silly money while they're still scarce!
[/quote]

Ooh and your an Ed'burgh local. What bass is it in - Semi or P bass and when can one go see you play live to check it out?

G

I've got one in my four string - it's a good pickup but I don't think there's anything magical about it. I wonder if I should eBay it for silly money while they're still scarce!
[/quote]
Yeah they do go for allot on the odd occasion they come up. The main reason I like them is because they look good, sound ok and they aren't P's, J's or soapbars. They aren't going to turn anyone into a rock god but if you use them some people might just think you are :)

[/quote]
Ha, I saw this thread and clicked on it because I thought of your bass! It sounded very nice and growly I thought - guess it depends how much that's just the bass - what does it sound like with other pickups in, you ever tried?

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1319020083' post='1408891']
Yeah they do go for allot on the odd occasion they come up. The main reason I like them is because they look good, sound ok and they aren't P's, J's or soapbars. They aren't going to turn anyone into a rock god but if you use them some people might just think you are :)
[/quote]

Quiet you! Spending hundreds of your earth pounds on Mr Beer's pickup WILL make you sound like a rock God and selectively impress beautiful people.

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1319058627' post='1409558']
Ha, I saw this thread and clicked on it because I thought of your bass! It sounded very nice and growly I thought - guess it depends how much that's just the bass - what does it sound like with other pickups in, you ever tried?
[/quote]

Hi Lawrence, at the gig where you heard the bass, I'd have been using the toaster pickup at the neck on the majority of the songs, both pickups together on one tune, and the Darkstar soloed on only one song. From the sound of the toaster I reckon I'd be as happy with two of those, but I'd need to make some kind of surround to cover the huge rout. The bass started out with just one pickup, an old japanese Maxon single coil mudbucker lookalike in the mid position. This sounded good but was too microphonic. I replaced that later with a Dimarzio model one, which didn't have the upper mid "clank" I like. I changed that for the Darkstar as it was the only quality single coil I could find to fill the huge rout in my bass. Then later I added the toaster at the neck for a bit more versatility. The Darkstar does have a bit more presence in the very high treble than most passive pickups do - I can hear that when I record direct, but I tend not to like using cabs that go that high, so it's kind of lost on what I do.
Since I'm now using my five string (there's a thread on it in Build Diaries) for gigs, I'm thinking I'd be as well to move the Darkstar on and stick another Kent Armstrong toaster in instead.
Hope I haven't drifted too far off topic...

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1319061650' post='1409596']
I'm thinking I'd be as well to move the Darkstar on and stick another Kent Armstrong toaster in instead.
[/quote]
Well, I dont suppose you'd have much trouble moving it on - at least until/if these new Swedish copies finally hit the market. What pole spacing is your one?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1320269437' post='1424725']
So, project that might not be quite fun ... buy Fred Hammon's tooling etc. and start making Dark Stars and see if you can keep up with the demand.
[/quote]

I was thinking more along the lines of - work out how to build them, make a few for myself and post plans on internet....

Or get a factory in china to make a couple of 1000......

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1318954891' post='1408223']
In the last week or two on TalkBass someone has posted news about a Swedish organisation that has been working with some of the old Hagstrom employees to re-recreate the Bi-Sonic, including a 5 string version.
[/quote]
Have you got a link for that?

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1320274644' post='1424835']
Have you got a link for that?
[/quote]
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/club-dark-star-731040/index5.html"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/club-dark-star-731040/index5.html[/url] Posted by 'mungi' on page 12. It's a long thread, basically anything about Darkstars, so you can sort of follow the recent history.

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1320311828' post='1425043']
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/club-dark-star-731040/index5.html"]http://www.talkbass....040/index5.html[/url] Posted by 'mungi' on page 12. It's a long thread, basically anything about Darkstars, so you can sort of follow the recent history.
[/quote]
Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Dark Stars are approaching 'Wal' status - at least Wal before they started making them again!

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Star-Pickups-Legendary-Bi-Sonic-Replicias-/220913079137?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item336f721361#ht_744wt_1270"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Star-Pickups-Legendary-Bi-Sonic-Replicias-/220913079137?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item336f721361#ht_744wt_1270[/url]

Dammit, why didn't I buy a few sets when Fred was still trading - I could have covered all my Xmas bills with the profits :(

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1324047584' post='1470255']
Looks like Dark Stars are approaching 'Wal' status - at least Wal before they started making them again!

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Star-Pickups-Legendary-Bi-Sonic-Replicias-/220913079137?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item336f721361#ht_744wt_1270"]http://www.ebay.com/...1#ht_744wt_1270[/url]

Dammit, why didn't I buy a few sets when Fred was still trading - I could have covered all my Xmas bills with the profits :(
[/quote]
... and why did I sell mine?

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1324047584' post='1470255']

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Star-Pickups-Legendary-Bi-Sonic-Replicias-/220913079137?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item336f721361#ht_744wt_1270"]http://www.ebay.com/...1#ht_744wt_1270[/url]

[/quote]

Again I wonder how hard they would be to make? .....