Why become a member? ×

advice on bassless music if you may?

mr.gritstoner

[quote name='MuckedUpFunkies' timestamp='1318371012' post='1401412']
Personally I gave up on this approach and made them all my self. I some times literally play over loops for hours. My advice: Youtube drum grooves and go to town =)

Dan
[/quote]

+1 for this. No, +10 for this.

When I got back into playing bass in Jan this year after a 15 year break I started by playing along to songs. I got tired of this pretty soon as once I'd finished a song it was a case of well, what now, I nailed that one but no one heard it. A bit of a hollow victory really. So a guy at work mentioned GarageBand and I started popping drum tracks onto there (I use EZDrummer and have thousands of midi drum loops at hand). I've started dabbling with other, mainly virtual, instruments too.

What had stopped me from writing stuff before is that I didn't know any music theory (yeah, don't start on me...) and I thought there was some magical innate talent that people tapped into to write songs. Anyway, a bit of music theory later and it all makes sense. The lightbulb moment for me was finding out that if you select a scale and key to play in, you can pretty much play any note in that scale in any order and it will sound alright. Or that how it seems to me and it seems to work! :) Anyway I digress but the main point is that messing about with my own stuff has had a few really great benefits. One is that now I know some music theory, another is that I'm learning about writing songs and song structure and I also get to hear the fruits of my labour. Finally, I can listen back to my stuff and really analyse it and improve my playing.

So, whilst not the answer you're specifically looking for, MuckedUpFunkies' suggestion has a tonne or merit to it. Give it a go! As my mate said to me, if it all goes horribly wrong, only YOU have to listen to your stuff. Have fun!

PlayJazzNow.com has tracks with piano, drums and bass, and tracks with just piano and drums. Mostly jazz, of course, but also some funk, sets (all keys) of major and minor blues, and Latin stuff. The downloads cost, but are relatively cheap. Great for practice, I find. For example, the minor blues set is in all keys, each tune lasting about five minutes, so plenty of repetition. There are also sets for specific moves, such as ii-V-I or some other jazz movement.

tg

Edited by tedgilley