Why become a member? ×

New band...first rehearsal tonight!

Grassie

So, after searching for a drummer for what seems like forever (3 months actually) I have our first rehearsal later tonight. We are a three piece doing rock covers (Feeder, Manics, Foos, Kasabian etc.) and hopefully we'll get our own stuff going in the new year. Ironically, the drummer works for the same company as me, except different department and different shift, and has basically been sat under my nose for 3 months while I've been scouring every other corner of the Isle of Wight for a decent drummer! And tonight I'll get to use my new Gallien Krueger MB210 combo for the first time too, in a band setting...so could be an interesting evening! :)

Thanks guys, it's been a good evening! Graham (the drummer) is a good fit - plays well (for someone who originally stated he was "rusty" after not playing for a few years) and is a nice bloke too. No egos in this band. The shift patterns might be a problem but I think we can work around it as he does permanent nights (4 on 4 off) and I do earlies and lates (Monday to Friday). We're not in too much of a rush to get gigging (yet) so we're just going to have to take every opportunity to rehearse and book our gigs around Graham. It's all cool. :)
[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1317922355' post='1396368']
Quality - let me know how you get on with the Gallien combo. That's what I'm looking at getting
[/quote]
As for the GK, well, when I first got it, I was worried that it wasn't going to be loud enough.... how wrong was I? That is one powerful, clear sounding combo. Even with a set of dying strings on my jazz bass, it still managed to cut through like nothing I've played through before. The bottom end is quite monstorous for a 2 x 10 and, at 16kg, will not break my back! And it looks sexy too... I am a happy bunny. :)

Edited by Grant

[quote name='Grant' timestamp='1317937526' post='1396558']

As for the GK, well, when I first got it, I was worried that it wasn't going to be loud enough.... how wrong was I? That is one powerful, clear sounding combo. Even with a set of dying strings on my jazz bass, it still managed to cut through like nothing I've played through before. The bottom end is quite monstorous for a 2 x 10 and, at 16kg, will not break my back! And it looks sexy too... I am a happy bunny. :)
[/quote]

I've done a lot or reading up on these and that was the last piece of info I needed so it looks like its a go

[quote name='zac362' timestamp='1317938249' post='1396569']
glad you had a good rehearsal mate, and its always nice when you hear your bass, and it just sound exactly how you wanted it :) all being well i should be getting a GK mb500 head soon, so i hope i have the same results as you.
[/quote]
GK have created a mighty fine amp. I don't know what their heads are like with other cabs though. I'm sure you'll have a great sound whatever you put it through. :)
[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1317956845' post='1396681']

I've done a lot or reading up on these and that was the last piece of info I needed so it looks like its a go
[/quote]
I did a lot of research too. Lots of reviews, youtube, and Harmony Central. The main selling points for me were the price (I paid £480) and the weight. At 16kg, when I first picked it up, I had to check that it had speakers in it. All my previous amps have been extremely heavy, and I've suffered with my back since the age of 20 (I'm 36 now) so neodymium is my new best friend. The only downside with the MB210 is the hiss when the HF horn is on, but to be fair, I found that it can sound a bit [i]too[/i] bright when it's engaged, so I just switch it off...
I'm sure you'll love yours too! :)

[quote name='Grant' timestamp='1317974437' post='1396729']
GK have created a mighty fine amp. I don't know what their heads are like with other cabs though. I'm sure you'll have a great sound whatever you put it through. :)
[/quote]

at first it'll be through a 115 peavey cab that I've been using as an extension cab for my peavey combo, but i reckon ill get a GK cab, maybe one out of the MB range once I've saved up the funds, its an expensive business is this bass playing lark :)