Why become a member? ×

Good value MM pickups?

TRBboy

I'm looking for two good value MM pickups for a potential project, and just wondered if anyone had any suggestions? I've not really had any experience with MM pickups until I bought my Sandberg Basic earlier this year, so any input is appreciated!

I don't want anything that sounds crap, but I don't want to spend too much either!

It depends what you mean by good value! The Seymour Duncan Ceramic is very nice, with a lively MM tone.

If its within the budget, the Delano hybrids are fantastic. The active twin coil option gets very close to the classic MM tone, and the coil tap gives you the option of passive single coil Jazz type tone. I've got one in my Shuker IMO they are outstanding pickups. Not cheap though.

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1317712518' post='1393461']
It depends what you mean by good value! The Seymour Duncan Ceramic is very nice, with a lively MM tone.

If its within the budget, the Delano hybrids are fantastic. The active twin coil option gets very close to the classic MM tone, and the coil tap gives you the option of passive single coil Jazz type tone. I've got one in my Shuker IMO they are outstanding pickups. Not cheap though.
[/quote]

I'm looking for something that doesn't cost the earth but sounds good I suppose. Not sure whether to go for Dual MMs or MM/P on this project at the moment....

Alnico - Jaco
Ceramic - Richard Bona
you can see what's the difference more less without going in details (I know - both of them are using single coils but that's even better for hearing the difference).
1) Nordstrand 2) Seymour Duncan 3) Delano 4) Bartolini.
As I stated in other topics - I prefer Alnico magnets, ceramics have more "artificial" sound.

Edited by dr Szelma

I'm a fan of the Seymour Duncan MM pickups.
I have tried some cheaper ones, like GFS (alnico) and even cheaper no-brand ones (ceramic)... meh.
I also tried the more expensive Nordstrand MM4.2 (alnico)... not bad at all, but a bit "bland".

I like both the SD SMB4A (alnico) and SMB4D (ceramic), but I prefer the alnico ones (a bit less mid-range heavy). I wire them with the coils in parallel as in a Stingray, and they sound mighty.
Seriously good pickups.

I have an SD SMB5A in my Ibanez RD605, and, quite honestly, I'd love to swap it for the Alnico version (anyone who wants to swap Alnico for Ceramic PM me) as I prefer the Alnico warmth.

I currently have 2 MM 4-string pups in the drawer, a GFS - a fine pup, but each coil has very low resistance & it;s wired in series (although this can be changed) & has a sound of its own. Be good for a project, though.

I also have a poleless-covered MM taken from an Ibanez. Each coil is approx 7.5K & it may be wired in both series or parallel. I don't know if it's ceramic or alnico. I believe this can get pretty near the Stingray tone.

If interested in either, PM me.

G.

Look up the Kent Armstrong branded MM that WD Music sell - I've never used one, but it should be good (I've used lots of their P and J types and never been disappointed for the ££). I like the Bartolini MM, but I'm not sure its that faithful to the older MM sound...bit cleaner and brighter...and expensive new.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1317978442' post='1396792']
I have an SD SMB5A in my Ibanez RD605, and, quite honestly, I'd love to swap it for the Alnico version (anyone who wants to swap Alnico for Ceramic PM me) as I prefer the Alnico warmth.
[/quote]

Hmmm, the SMB5A is alnico. The ceramic one is SMB5D.
I do have an alnico SMB5A that I don't need (new, never installed). I don't need the ceramic either, so not interested in a swap, but if you want to buy it off me, just PM me.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1318013473' post='1397362']

Hmmm, the SMB5A is alnico. The ceramic one is SMB5D.
I do have an alnico SMB5A that I don't need (new, never installed). I don't need the ceramic either, so not interested in a swap, but if you want to buy it off me, just PM me.
[/quote]

Ahhh, I sit corrected!!!! :) It's the ceramic one I've got in the Ibanez RD605 - I find it a bit.....soul-less. I like the bass, but I'm looking for a more traditional tone.

G.