Why become a member? ×

Famous Sue Ryder P-bass... as played by Sea Bass Kid

mcnach

well, maybe not exactly famous, but we just spent a whole day filming scenes for our first music video (Sea Bass Kid - "In the city"), and I used the white+black pickguard Sue Ryder for it.

Filming was a lot of fun. All over town, five stories following each member, crossing eachother, until we finally meet... A few scenes left, and then editing... I'll post a link when it's done. Meanwhile... you can listen to "In the city" (and other tracks of a demo we made) on Soundcloud here:

http://soundcloud.com/seabasskid/sets/seabass-kid-the-calm-before-1

Sound and recording is not the best... and the mix is *very* bass light... but there you go. Working on new recordings at the moment.

Note: on the recordings I used a MM Stingray and a G&L L2500 tribute, not the P-bass. Although due to the mix, you can't tell regardless. :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1317517585' post='1391534']
well, maybe not exactly famous, but we just spent a whole day filming scenes for our first music video (Sea Bass Kid - "In the city"), and I used the white+black pickguard Sue Ryder for it.

Filming was a lot of fun. All over town, five stories following each member, crossing eachother, until we finally meet... A few scenes left, and then editing... I'll post a link when it's done. Meanwhile... you can listen to "In the city" (and other tracks of a demo we made) on Soundcloud here:

[url="http://soundcloud.com/seabasskid/sets/seabass-kid-the-calm-before-1"]http://soundcloud.co...e-calm-before-1[/url]

Sound and recording is not the best... and the mix is *very* bass light... but there you go. Working on new recordings at the moment.

[b]Note: on the recordings I used a MM Stingray and a G&L L2500 tribute, not the P-bass. Although due to the mix, you can't tell regardless.[/b] :)
[/quote]

You shouldnt have told us that! Youve just killed the tread in 20 years time entitled "What did McNach play on 'In the city'?" with endless debate swinging from 'The famous Ryder' to 'It must have been a Ray, he was a Ray man' and peppered with 'No he used a Standard P, dont you know all the best bass lines were done on a P' :)

Nice tracks BTW

A

Edited by apa

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1317543901' post='1391584']

You shouldnt have told us that! Youve just killed the tread in 20 years time entitled "What did McNach play on 'In the city'?" with endless debate swinging from 'The famous Ryder' to 'It must have been a Ray, he was a Ray man' and peppered with 'No he used a Standard P, dont you know all the best bass lines were done on a P' :)

Nice tracks BTW

A
[/quote]

Ha ha ha... the thing is that you can hear NO BASS whatsoever on some of tjhose tracks... and when you do hear it it's so far down in the mix that it coudl really be anything, even a washtub/broom handle bass :)

But I will keep quiet about the new recordings... and will just add that lately I'm still using the Stingray, but I am bringing out a lot a Squier VM Jazz, a Squier CV Precision 51, and sometimes a P-bass of some description (flats) or an OLP (also with flats)... so the discussions can be kept lively for some time!

Oh yes, I bloody well have! :)

These were never meant to be the final versions. A friend of the band was doing the recording... it took ages, but he was spending a lot of his free time with us, for free, so we went along. When it came to how we wanted things mixed... disagreements came (us, vs. him, we pretty much all agreed). For some reason his mixes are always VERY bass poor. What we have here is after I almost made myself a bit annoying to him by insisting that the bass should be more prominent. For some songs the bass is ok taking a bit of a back seat and does not need to be very prominent. But some songs are very bass driven (not on that link above), and our guy just wasn't getting that. He was able to get a very clear bass sound in the mix, when we were together... but then when he was left by himself he would do something to make it go away. He definitely had the ability with the recordings we had to achive the goal... but he personally did not like that sound, that's the only explanation I have for it.

Yes, there is bass, saying that there was NO BASS was an exaggeration on my part... but it's very deficient.

We were not done yet, we were going to have a session all together to work on that... but it never happened, then the guy went to Oman for work and pretty much that was it :)
So we are using these recordings for now.

We were going to get the raw recordings and work on them ourselves, but there were a few things we'd like to do different, and we have some other songs that we would rather do and.. in the end we decided to move on and do new recordings in the coming months.

Edited by mcnach

Some engineers - both live and studio - seem terrified of Bass.

Usually, they pretend it's not there at all, or and just leave it so far down in the mix it can cause no harm.

Makes my P*ss fizz it does! Might as well not bother turning up.

Edited by NeilMorrell

Bass is a bit low in the mix in some of the tracks, but I can hear it fine. Nice playing. It does seem to "pump" in a rather disconcerting way in "Bond" like it's being compressed too much - or maybe the bass and the kick are both going through the same compressor???

How did your friend record the drums by the way - sound pretty good for a low-budget/bedroom attempt.

I don't recall what he used for compression, but he used (or tried, at least) a bunch of them.

The drums were recorded at a studio. He was on his last year of his music degree and used it to get drums and some guitars/vocals recorded. Most vocals, all backing vocals, most guitars, all bass etc were recorded in a bedroom and a livingroom in Edinburgh :) Neighbours must have loved it because they did not complain :)
Bass was recorded directly into a preamp whose name escapes me but I've seen a lot, and recorded dry.

For our next attempt we're going to record drums at a studio again, and do the rest at home, as it seems to work reasonably well. We have a couple of guys that have produces CDs locally whose results we like, so hopefully this time we will get a decent final mix...