Why become a member? ×

New EBS micro head on the way...

wateroftyne

It looks great but my minor criticisms:

1. 4 ohm minimum means you can only use one of the non-compact EBS cabs. ( not being to hook it up to say, 2 2x10 neolines seems a bit strange)
2. Fafner-style chicken-feet knobs would have made it look really cool. (but these probably take up more space).
3. a 'drive' option for a bit of added grit would have been nice (as on HD350, Classic 400 etc)

It should be a good product, it looks fairly easy to use as well.

The version that I heard at Frankfurt sounded really, really good. The thing that I am concerned about is the specs war... TC were obviously worried about it hence they had to get creative. However, if you look at the competition from MarkBass and Genz, with their 500w and 600w heads respectively, it's going to take some convincing for somebody to go for a 250w over those. And then, the EBS isn't as micro or as light as the competition. I see it more of a halfway house at the moment... Of course, for a single cab solution, the MB and GB heads are still putting out favourable watts at 8 ohm... the EBS, well, I'm not so convinced. As pointed out though, the HD350 is proof that EBS watts go a long way. Some shelving in the lows really gives the amp all the power it needs where it matters. I'll have to spend some time with it to see what I really think... the proof as they say... is not in the specs.

As somebody has already pointed out, the neoline cabs are all geared up for a two cab solution at 2 ohms... with the 1x10 and 1x12 cabs being the exception (they run at 8ohms). It seems crazy they should be now pushing 4 ohms instead of 2... as any EBS cab owners looking to move to a new lighter weight solution... are a bit shafted...

Still wouldn't mind one though :)

[quote name='Darkstrike' timestamp='1317929718' post='1396456']
That really would have been a sweet option.
[/quote]

But thats why you drive the Valve Drive... these guys aren't daft... :)

PS Sad to see the spot varnished logo on the top vanish for the plastic speaker cab logo... :)

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1317929840' post='1396461']

But thats why you drive the Valve Drive... these guys aren't daft... :)

PS Sad to see the spot varnished logo on the top vanish for the plastic speaker cab logo... :)
[/quote]
The Valve Drive will make it even bigger! At that stage, may as well use a huge rig... :)